3G Cases with camera hole at Best Buy (again) - Available Oct. 14th

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by MaxPower49, Sep 12, 2009.

1. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodd...d=0926INGFS10129542&catid=25953&test_cookie=1

My theory:
    These ipods out are still 2G (call it 2.5G if you want) since Apple doesn't refer to them as 3G anywhere. Camera problems forced them to delay the 3G, but they didn't want to announce that at the event last week because that would lose some sales to the new ZuneHD which comes out next week.

The 3G iPods will be ready for the Christmas shopping season (in a month maybe?). Apple will also release a firmware upgrade for iPod Touches that will activate some hidden features in the 2.5Gs (Wireless N, FM radio, FM transmitter) that will keep 2.5G owners from being quite as pissed.

I'm sticking with my 2G for now to see how this plays out.

2. Miko macrumors member

WOW

Possibly only a month to wait for an iPod Touch with camera??

3. MaxPower49 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Dieder macrumors member

Could be possible. I dont care about a camera so I will not be pissed off (I just bought the new Touch) aslong as they dont put a better battery or processer in the new update

5. Miko macrumors member

Man I was gunna go to Walmart on Tuesday and pick up the "2.5G" touch but now I think i'm going to wait until October :S!

6. Dieder macrumors member

How do you know when the next keynote is btw?

7. Canon Rock macrumors member

They might hold another one just might. I mean they said that This keynote is designed for the iPod Nano They didn't really say that but you get what I mean. They didn't really say much about 3G and from all these cases, there must have been a leak info of the camera, and the fact that we even saw the proto-type ipod touch with a camera.

Either their planning on releasing the new camera after the new touch settles down, or next year.

Lots of variables but I kinda have a feeling that were in for a surprise. I COULD BE WRONG. lol

8. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

Hey, if Best Buy put the cases back, it must mean something.

IMO, Apple is definitely working on a touch with a camera. Hopefully not the nano camera.

9. Dieder macrumors member

I still can cancell my order at the Apple store....

10. macdoofus macrumors member

dagnabbit, I wonder if I should cancel my order too? I could wait a month...
    could this really happen a 3G in Oct? Ugh :confused:

(I don't need cam but I do need a Mic)

11. Dieder macrumors member

A month sounds a bit too early but it could be possible. Not that I need the camera but it might come in handy especially in combination with Twitter etcetera...

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Is a camera really that important?

It's cool, it's geeky-heaven, but in the end, it's not something I'd focus on. An iPod touch gives you the App Store. 75,000+ functions vs camera. I think the apps win.

The new iPod touch 3Gs are NOT 2.5G. At least, the 32/64Gb models aren't. They feature a new ARM Cortex processor that rivals the iPhone 3GS. And a new graphics chip that also rivals the iPhone 3GS. Performance should be on par with the iPhone 3GS or slightly better.

If that's what you call 2.5G, then go ahead. But if you knew what you were talking, which apparently you didn't, then call the 3G - Camera.

13. Canon Rock macrumors member

What snow said. For me, the camera would be a good use for like the first few weeks not even a month, than after I wont really care about it. It's like buying a car (For most people) you take care of it for awhile, than afterwards you just dont really care if it gets scratches and such.

14. Rcasa macrumors newbie

Rcasa

They have 4 kinds of cases. I'm saying it's coming. I'll hold off for now. either way I'll be getting the newest thing possible ha ha.

15. infer0 macrumors newbie

Those sites that you linked are the Canadian Best Buys. Is it possible they just didn't take those down from before? I can't seem to find the cases on the US Best Buy web site.

16. 6daniels macrumors member

I have one of those cases in my hand right now with a camera hole so i am sure they will have the new ipod touch with camera. Why? because apple doesnt call the new ipod touch 3G its just called iPod Touch 2G. Everything else will be the same at the new ipod touch they just annonced but the new ipod touch 3G will have a camera. I think at the last minute they had some kind of technical difficulties with the camera so i guess they left it out why else would the new ipod touch have space for a camera?? Im sure soon we will hear something about the new iPod Touch 3G

17. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

He doesnt know he is just guessing, considering that Apple has a keynote usually in October to do a laptop refresh.

18. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

Don't get too worked up over (even less than) rumours and heresy about a camera in the touch... It didn't work out so well this first time around three days ago, yeah?

Two things I'm believing about this... First, that they were looking into a camera in the touch initially, but it didn't work out for various reasons (price, quality, design). Second, if there were ever a camera put in this 'generation' of iPod touches, it would only be the nano-style VGA video-only camera.

Considering the touches are, really, their top-end iPods, I don't think that would be something Apple would want to do, either. If they can't put an iPhone-quality camera in there, they won't be doing it.

19. 6daniels macrumors member

well to others who think theres going to be now camera in the ipod touch 3G why is best buy selling the ipod touch cases with holes? and i also saw it at walmart yesterday

20. Bighaugs Guest

True, the iPhone's camera wouldn't fit in the Touch. Cf. ifixit.com's teardown of the new version, which indicates that the Touch is too thin. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that they were trying to put the Nano's VGA camera in there.

Is it possible that Apple was trying to put an auto-focus, high(er)-res, uber-thin cam in the touch? This would be a new part, then: better than the Nano's, thinner than the iPhone's.

That would help explain the rumored 'technical difficulties' that plagued Apple in the run-up to launch.

21. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

Walmart and Target both hav3 90 day return policies....so I expect a lot of echanges/returns if theyy come out in Oct

I own the 1st Gen Touch, I plan on getting the "2.5 Gen" this week, I dont really care for a camera cause I own a iPhone 3GS, but if a Touch with camera comes out for the same price, I will exchange

22. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Why is best buy doing this/?

umma wait till oct 14h now!!!!!!

23. Dieder macrumors member

Ok I'm not gonna cancel my order. Maybe they'll release new firmware and maybe a new Ipod next year but not this year.

24. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

I saw some of the cases in a Canadian Walmart as well.
    There was a Camera hole, but seeing as Apple just "refreshed" their iPod line, I don't think that they would release a new iPod Touch one month after the refresh. Apple would get a lot of complaints if they did so.

25. Bighaugs Guest

This got me excited for a minute. But this is Wal-Mart's actual policy: "GPS units, digital music players and portable video players: Must be returned within 15 days of receipt." cf. http://www.walmart.com/returns.

Target's a bit better: "Restocking Fees: Some items are subject to a 15% restocking fee, including camcorders, digital cameras, portable DVD players and portable electronics." So on a $300 32gb touch, you'd be out $45 or so. But that's assuming you haven't allowed the thing to be dinged up at all. http://www.target.com/b/ref=br_bx_0/192-2537151-2469514?ie=UTF8&node=10665391