3G causes phone to lose service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by manhattanmania, Aug 19, 2008.

1. manhattanmania macrumors regular

um... this is getting to the point of ridiculous.

not only has 3G data been performing completely erratically and horribly since who knows when, but now, with 3G on, my phone refuses to have service. i always had full 3G service in my apartment, and now, zilch. if i take 3G off, i have full edge service. this is happening everywhere.

is this indicative of a faulty 3G chip? i simply don't see how this could be software related at this point. i mean its clear: 3G on, no service. 3G off, service. and the edge data is working faster than the 3G (when it actually worked).

ideas? the next genius bar appt is thursday... UGH

2. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

for what its worth, i had my 3G swapped at an Apple Store the other day, and as I was walking out I noticed there was No Service. I toggled it to EDGE, got bars, back to 3G, No Service. I went to ask them WTF (nicely of course :)) and they said that 3G had been down for a few hours in the area surrounding the nearest tower. i took their word for it and hit the road and as soon as i was a couple of miles away, 3G was fine.

so, possibly, there is a temp. 3G "outage" near you. from what they said at apple, this happens from time-to-time... :mad:

3. AnalyzeThis macrumors 6502

3G is kind of working, but it drops almoust every call over 5 min

I have mine for a week now. 3G is going really crazy. I am very close to the cell tower with 5 bars and it manages to drop calls. Next week I will either exchange it or return it. I think it is better to wait until this 3G saga is over.

4. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

which is when... 4G?