3G Clarifications

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Saberj, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Saberj macrumors regular

So would someone like to explain the differences between pre-pay and post-pay with AT&T? I don't really get the difference other than the time when your bill arrives.

In addition, what is the policy on overages? Do you have to manually decide to continue using data, or will the companies just automatically charge you the additional fee once you've hit that line?

I remember hearing that AT&T gives you a new 30 days when you go over, so it's just like resetting your plan. But do you get any notification that it has happened? Can you check your usage? And what if you want to change plans when you go over, is that possible?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to go 3G with the new iPad, so I need my information straight before hand.

2. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

So Pre-pay is your pay your $25, get 2 gig, when you run out, you're out, you can re-up next month or not.

Post pay is you get 2 Gig, use it, pay at the end of the month, and have to opt OUT instead of opting in every month.

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Honestly, month to month is pretty easy. Unless you're certain you will want to keep it a LONG time. Furthermore, you might get a new iPad next year, so why have to change the account information with AT&T? Pre paid keeps it simple I think.

You do get the 1 time free month if you do post paid, but I think AT&T has to setup post paid for you, while pre paid you can do from iPad.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

If you'd be using data regularly enough to keep it enabled, then it's possible any existing FAN service discounts might apply to post-paid. I haven't checked myself, but with a 20% service discount that would drop it to $20/mo from $25.

5. Saberj thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the answers. I keep trying to figure out why Post-Paid would be good. I guess the answer is, "So you don't have to do anything to keep using it". I think pre-pay works just fine.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

The other difference is how they handle going over the 2GB mark. Which fits best with your usage depends on (big surprise) your usage. See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1110559 for more info.