3g Compatibility Warning

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mwchris, Aug 4, 2008.

1. mwchris macrumors regular

I apologize if this have already been asked, and not sure if anyone here has a definitive answer, but have been unable to find an answer by searching and unable to reach apple by phone.

I realize there are many products that are supposed to charge and connect your iphone to a stereo. Some people have had mix luck with them still connecting to the stereo, but not charging. So, my question is this:

If you have a device that comes up with the "Not designed/compatible" warning, that states the charging is not supported, is it safe to continue using the device for its other functions, such as connecting to the stereo, or is power still being applied to the Iphone which will eventually fry the device?

I am under the impression that the iphone disabled/removed the firewire circuitry, so therefore even if a device had the pins for it, the iphone no longer does, so you could still use the device to connect to the stereo without any worry of frying the iphone.

Thank you in advance for all help!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can still use the devices. They just won't charge. Some will say they're not compatible, even though they work, which just means that Apple never approved them for that use.

TEG

3. mwchris thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the response. I understand that in many cases you can continue to use the device for its other function (connecting to a stereo), but is there a possibility of any harm being done to the device from the incompatible charging system?