3G Connectivy Question for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kokoui, Jul 2, 2010.

1. kokoui macrumors member

Hello guys, I have this weird problem and I would like your advice. My iphone 4 works so far perfect (no signal loss) but I have this weird problem. I live in Cyprus and particular in my town 3G signal is weak. When I have the option "3G enabled" off I can connect to the internet using the EDGE but when I enabled it I can not connect to the internet. Doesn't the iPhone switch to EDGE automatically if it does not find a 3g signal? Also how do i know when I am getting a 3g signal (i had the first gen iphone so this is new for me:p)

2. flipm725 macrumors regular

the phone will automatically switch to EDGE if it doesn't find a 3G signal. You'll know if you have 3G if you see the 3G symbol next to the AT&T logo.

3. kokoui thread starter macrumors member

When i watch next to the carrier name the "o" does it mean that i Have EDGE or I have to get the "E" in order to have the Edge signal

4. flipm725 macrumors regular

the O I think stands for GSM and the E is for Edge. GSM is ridiculously slow.

5. Bobajobbob macrumors regular

The o is a GPRS connection, pretty slow. Edge is optimised GPRS and thus quicker and 3G quicker still.

The phone should default to whichever data service is available on your tariff, network and area.