3g Contract ended, got Iphone 4, will 3g still work, non-active sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Belmont, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Belmont macrumors newbie

OK. Before I get flamed or ignored, I have done a search. Maybe my technique isnt great (just ask my wife) but I cannot find a specific thread about this.

I took the plunge and at the end of my contract with o2 I got me an Iphone 4 and am happy that I did. I got to keep my old 3g as per normal.

My old 3g (running OS 4.01), has my now defunct o2 sim card in it. I expected to be able to use it as an Ipod Touch and initially I could, however after 2 weeks the wifi seems to no longer work although it is connecting to my router. I get the message "Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the internet". Is this because the sim is non-active? Or is there something I am missing. I set it up on the missus' laptop so she could put music on it and that works OK.

Any help, advice, derision?

2. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

It will work as an iPod Touch no problem. You can even take out the dead sim, put it in Airplane mode then turn wifi back on to get rid of the "No SIM" text on the status bar.

3. joe3681 macrumors member

Thats what I did for my son so he could have a "touch with a camera". Took out SIM. Put Airplane mode on, turned wifi back on and it's g2g!!

4. Belmont thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much!

The wifi worked with the sim in at first after I changed my contract. Then it stopped.

I removed the sim as you said, put it in flight mode and hey presto! Wifi back.

edit

However. After switching the Iphone off and on again the wireless wasnt working until I switched Airplane mode off then back on and turned wirelss back on...

Any explanations?