3G Coverage Already Starting To Get Better

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jul 19, 2008.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Last week when I went to Freehold, NJ to get my iPhone 3G I got around 1-2 bars (never higher, and never any decent speeds) of 3G coverage there, which was weird since the closest place near there with 3G coverage was miles away. By the constant dropping of the 3G signal a week ago, I figured something was going on with 3G there. Today, only six days later, I was back and I was getting 3-5 bars of 3G in the entire Freehold area, including the exact same place I was when I got my iPhone 3G. I got 3G without ever dropping to EDGE on a full 45 minute drive without ever dropping to EDGE, and most of the time I got a full five bars and really nice speeds. Considering that the ATT coverage map was last updated on June 30, if they added 3G coverage, which they obviously did, it isn't showing on the coverage map. Is anyone else noticing getting 3G in areas that they usually haven't? I'm surprised that's been less than a week since I got my iPhone 3G and I'm already starting to get full coverage in places that I definitely wasn't last week.

2. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Here's a coverage map of the area I was in. The pin shows exactly where I was, though I traveled around the entire area and never dropped down in bars.

[​IMG]

I was in Freehold and went down route 9 (which is labeled clearly on the map) to get there and back. As you can see on the coverage map from June 30 (which hasn't been updated since, but that doesn't mean that they haven't been adding more 3G coverage, which they have been) there was no 3G coverage at all a few weeks (or six days ago when I was at the exact same place and got really bad 3G coverage that dropped a lot). Now 3G there is flawless with full bars almost the entire time and drops to EDGE. Here's a zoomed out view to show that there was no way I was getting 3G coverage from anywhere around there:

[​IMG]

So far I'm getting more and more impressed with ATT.

3. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Is anyone else starting to see better 3G coverage?

4. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

lol freehold!

I got stuck in that town once trying to find a hotel near six flags. That town is bizarre.

I had the worst iced coffee ever there..

5. Jookbox macrumors 6502

i work in los angeles, in a totally dark blue area, and i get zero 3g coverage. just edge here. at home i'm usually fine though, although i get only 2 bars max. kinda pathetic for such a major city.

6. markgamber macrumors 6502

The speed still sucks where I live but it's improving considerably in surrounding areas. I'm getting 150 or so kbps at home but a mile north I can pull 500-800 kbps and a couple miles to the west 750. It's getting there slowly but surely.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Unfortunately, parts of California are notorious for being trouble spots. Back when AT&T was Cingular, they shared a VERY well built out network with T-Mobile, and coverage was great.

When Cingular bought the "old" AT&T Wireless, they sold off their share of the network and moved all operations to the "old" AT&T Wireless network they had just bought. Unfortunately, that network wasn't as good, and AT&T has been trying to catch up on coverage ever since.

Anyway, in NJ it seems like the 3G network here is recovering and speeds are becoming more normal.

8. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

Hmm, I've got the opposite issue. It's not really great where I am (pin) but the coverage maps show otherwise. I get 1-3 bars.
    [​IMG]

9. UCLAkers macrumors member

just curious, what part of LA are you talking about here? I haven't encountered a dead zone yet, and your 3G service should be solid throughout. wonder what's going on..? does this kinda thing happen in other BIG cities for anyone else (SF, NYC, chi-town)?

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

everyone i know with the 3G is still getting crappy reception. i'll have full strength on my 1st gen, and they'll have 2-3 bars.

11. gibbz macrumors 68030

As you can see by the map, I am supposed to be in great coverage. However, I have ben fluctuating between 1-3 bars at random in Norman, OK. Seems like I have been experiencing the same problems as other have mentioned in other forums. No improvement since the launch, as I am getting ~150-300 kbps.

Attached Files:

12. DrummerMan macrumors newbie

I get everything from 1 to 4 bars on 3G, however I get great clear sound on all calls and the internet comes up much faster than edge ever did. As long as I get a bar and my calls sound good, I have nothing to complain about!:)

13. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I usually always have 4 bars of 3G in my area, but then it randomly will drop to none or to 5. I think the 3G speed in my area needs to improve as well, it is better than EDGE, but not substantially.

14. Brett3rThanU macrumors regular

I've noticed my 3G reception has gotten better since July 11th. At first I was getting 1-2 bars typically and 400kbp/s d/l speed, but now I typically have 3-5 bars and get upwards of 1Mbp/s d/ls speed.

15. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

except the fact that your battery will drain that much faster...

1-2 bars puts immense stress on any cellular batter -- try taking your cell into the mountains and the thing won't last a half day because it is constantly pinging network towers miles away.

16. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I get great voice service and 3G all over Fort Worth, except at my house. I fluctuate between no bars and all 5 bars, and Edge and 3G, often in the same room.

Doesn't really matter to me, though, because I have WIFI at home and, even when it says I have no bars, I've not yet had a problem making a call.

AT&T's coverage map shows nothing but dark blue (3G) for miles all around me.