3G Coverage - Post 3G Coverage Experiences in your general Area

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by animenick65, Jun 30, 2008.

1. animenick65 macrumors 6502

Obviously none of you have 3G iPhones yet, but if you have experience with the 3G coverage in your area with other phones, post it here. I'm in Southern MA (specifically the area between Seekonk and Fall River) and am wondering how the 3G coverage is around here. The AT&T coverage map says there is plenty of coverage but was wondering if its patchy or not. Hopefully this thread will help those wondering about their area before they get a new iPhone.

2. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Live in UK, Liverpool, its fine here, better than other networks at times. I only get patchy service as I leave the city area and head into rural areas. (O2-UK)

3. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

I have NO 3g coverage but my town is suposed to by the end of the year.....so i would like to know also

4. shecky Guest

shecky

i am in the same area as the OP (providence) and wondering the same thing. i thought there was a website where you could go to an area and people can leave notes about their coverage.

EDIT: i think its this: http://www.signalmap.com/

5. animenick65 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll check that site out. Are you getting an iPhone on the 11th at the apple store in Providence place? Guessing it will be pretty packed there.

6. geeee4 macrumors newbie

No 3G Network yet

AT&T is going to make everyone pay for a service they aren't actually getting.

My brother (a cell site engineer for AT&T--the guy who plans where the cell sites go) laughed when I told him I waited to buy and iPhone until they had the faster network. He told me not to waste my time with the new phone until they actually put up the cell sites.

I'm in LA and they aren't here yet!!!!

7. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

Well, nobody can make you do anything. ;)

And it looks like most of the Los Angeles area does get 3G coverage, although there are some patches without.

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/popUp_3g.jsp#CA

8. geeee4 macrumors newbie

They say that there is coverage, but how do you prove that it is actually there, hence the laughing at me. He says that it isn't even in the pipeline for at least the next month.

I'm going to get it anyway. Eventually it will come.

I would ask people to check their download speeds when they get their phones to make sure they are getting what they are paying for. AT&T is raising the data rates because of the new network, are they not? It isn't nice to advertise something, make you pay for it and not give it to you.

9. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

So the maps are a lie. That blows.

Now I'm paranoid about the actual coverage here.

10. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

I live 30 miles south of Tampa....and have NO 3g for AT&T

11. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

i live in warrington, UK (halfway between manchester and liverpool) my friend on his o2 N95 gets 3g pretty much everywhere (and most imprtantly) at where we work ;)

12. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

When I worked for AT&T I had a 3G Palm Treo 750 demo. It supported HSDPA. Coverage in Orlando, FL and Albuquerque, NM was always outstanding. I occasionally traveled up and down the I-95 corridor and got 3G coverage about 75% of the time. However, 3G speed were dependent on where I was. Richmond, VA, for example, was around 400KB/s. Speeds in Orlando and ABQ ranged from 400KB/s (min) to 1mbit (max). There are different revisions of 3G throughout the US... but I believe almost all of AT&T's existing 3G network is on HSDPA now.

Generally speaking any metro area has good 3G coverage... most HSDPA enabled. A lot of people b*tch about AT&T's network, but from my experience their network is the best.

The best part about AT&T is the fallback from 3G is always EDGE no matter where you are in the U.S. Period. Unlike Verizon and Sprint, you'll never get GPRS coverage.