3g Coverage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpossoff, Jan 25, 2011.

1. mpossoff, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

mpossoff macrumors 68020

I was digging to see who has the most 3G coverage in the USA and it's starting to appear that Verizon does.

Here's ATT 3G coverage. Note dark blue is ATT current 3G coverage.

[​IMG]

Would like to hear from those that live in the white and light blue areas.

I'm not able to upload image of Verizon map but here's the link. Click on data coverage then refresh.

Attached Files:

2. mpossoff, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Hmmm another interesting find in regards to Verizon.

Go here

1- Tick 4G data coverage

2- Click Refresh Map

Look at all the white where there is no 3G coverage.

Let's take what it looks like Western Texas as an example. According to both ATT and Verizon maps there isn't 3G coverage in that area.

According to ATT map info by March 31st it looks like(comparing Verizon map and ATT map side by side) that ATT will have about the same 3G coverage as Verizon.

Currently it appears that Verizon does have more 3G coverage however not by a huge amount. It appears that Att has more 3G in the populated regions however by March 31st it looks like Att is on a plan for 3G in less populated regions.

3. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

Still no future coverage for my city of 50,000 though.

4. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

What city and does Verizon offer coverage?

5. thetexan macrumors 6502a

The problem I had with AT&T's 3G service is their coverage map is faulty in our area. If I go online I see full 3G coverage blanketed over my town. However I found my iPhone slipping out of 3G into EDGE quiet often. In restaurants, on campus, and at my parents house were all 3G "deadspots".

I had a tech support rep at AT&T admit that when a town goes 3G, that not every tower in the town is actually upgraded to 3G. He said they upgrade towers strategically to give most people in the area 3G but there will still be areas where 3G is not available even if the coverage map says it is.

6. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Are you going to the right map? Go to the map that shows 3G coverage NOT coverage.

7. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

Yep, full Verizon coverage everywhere. Not going to give specifics, but about right in the middle between Milwaukee and Green Bay WI

8. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'm happy with AT&T's 3G. I live right in that thick swath of 3G going up the Eastern seaboard, and it really isn't all that often that I leave that area.

9. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Wow im only 30min away from 4g coverage on verizon:D

10. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

I was in North Dakota a few weeks ago where they are offering future service, currently it's all EDGE, and most of the network is mainly old Alltel towers that are being moved to AT&T, coverage sucks for now, but looks like it should be good in the future.