3G Data iPod Touch in the future?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by klamse25, Apr 30, 2010.

1. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Don't you think it would be possible? You could choose between an iPod with 3G data, or a Wifi iPod. :D

2. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Never will happen

3. celticpride678

Wouldn't that completely defeat the purpose of having the iPod touch and iPhone two different devices?

4. klamse25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

klamse25

No. You could just own an iPod touch! Not everyone owns an iPhone you know...

5. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

I don't see it ever coming to the touch, I think a smaller 5-7 inch iPad with 3G data is a possibility though.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

8. celticpride678

Let's think about this for a second. An iPhone uses 3G to make phone calls, send text messages and browse the internet over AT&T's network.

The iPod touch with 3G would use AT&T and then you could make phone calls, send text messages and browse the internet over AT&T's network anywhere.

Don't they sound the same...yes!

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

it's called iPad ;)

it's not pointless, it's an interesting concept.... laptops coming pre-built with 3g modem if you ever wanted broadband on the go just slip sim card into laptop no need to fork out for a modem then

10. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

klamese25...

There should be a FAQ section just for you.

-3G Data iPod Touch in the future?
    -Why is the EVO even comparable to the iPhone?
    -How will we have the same data from our old phone onto the G4 iPhone?
    -Why does my 3GS take more than 2 minutes to boot?
    -Where can I download last year's WWDC?
    -What month are you trading in your 3GS? (for the 4g)
    -When a new iPhone is announced at WWDC, when does it get released?
    -If I got the 3GS in October what would be the options for getting the 4g?
    -If 4.0 has a user interface "refreshment" what are possibilities?
    -I have a stubborn stuck pixel. What should I do?
    -Do you think iPhone OS 3.2 will be released to iPhones alongside iPads on April 3rd?

And my favorite:
    -Jailbreaking your iPhone is a very bad idea.

All of which, brought to you by OP within the last 30 days :).

11. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

:eek: hahahaha that was good.

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

First of all, it's not an interesting concept. Interesting concept implies that this has never been done...

Second, you're paying for the modem one way or another. Difference is one is stuck with the laptop, the other can be used with others. In fact, this is the reason why having a built-in 3G modem is silly when you can just use an external modem.

13. klamse25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

klamse25

I'm sorry to resurrect this thread, but look at the rumors that have arisen... ;)

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I would buy one as soon as they are released.

15. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

I think that if there was going to be an iPod Touch 3G, none of us have any idea, I really feel like it would bring it even closer to the iPhone than Apple wants it to be.

Right now, they occupy two niches in the apple lineup:

iPhone, obviously, is the cell phone that has the ability to surf the web, download apps, make calls, text message, etc, etc.

iPod Touch is, for all intents and purposes, an iPhone (for those who don't want/can't justify the monthly price for/subscribe to another cellular service) without the 3G chip... which is what they would add to an iPod Touch 3G (sans the Messages and Phone apps).

Hypothetically, if they were to introduce an iPod Touch 3G, you'd be able to make calls and send text messages (through proxy apps, of course) and browse internet everywhere.

iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 3G would most likely be similar, if not identical in price. One would have to subscribe, undoubtedly, to AT&T for the 3G service.

The dimensions of the two products would be virtually identical, seeing as one of the only reasons for the iPhone's greater thickness is its 3G components.

All in all, 6 of one, half dozen of another. They'd be the same product. Which begs the question, why not just get an iPhone?

But, you never know.

16. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Link?

All I have seen is rumors of cases and a front/back camera (mic/led flash) with a retina display, possibly the same form factor.

17. klamse25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

klamse25

18. klamse25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

klamse25

"In addition to the iPod nano, the report notes that Apple has been toying with plans to release a version of the iPod touch offering 3G cellular data access. The company is said to have begun seriously considering the idea after seeing the success of the 3G-capable version of the iPad released earlier this year, and prototypes of 3G-capable iPod touches are claimed to be in existence."

I just wanted to point out that my idea is credible, and I'm not thinking too out-of-the-box. :p

19. klamse25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Very good points there. :D

20. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I can't see Apple undercutting themselves, which this would definitely do. I see a smaller iPad before this, however cool it would be.

Blonde Buddhist

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't see Apple doing this. It would be too similar to an iPhone.

22. shandyman Suspended

they do it with the iPad, if anything it's a natural progression from that.... if anything, you can say the iPad is an example that they've already done something like this....

23. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This is why I didn't think they would add 3G to the iPod touch, Apple is marketing the iPod touch to teens, just like the first 3 generations. Teens can't afford it, parents don't want to pay.

[​IMG]