3G data not working - But Phone Shows 3g symbol

joesegal76

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
I have been having a strange problem with my 3GS phone the last couple of weeks...
It seems to happen whenever I get back into a 3G service area (for example no service in Subway, or after leaving my house where I use wi-fi), it shows the 3G symbol on my phone, but I have no access to the internet at all. I toggle the airplane mode and still does not work. Sometimes it works when I turn the phone off and on but that seems rather annoying. I have done a restore but does not seem to help.

Anyone else experience this?? Any suggesstions?

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I have been having a strange problem with my 3GS phone the last couple of weeks...
It seems to happen whenever I get back into a 3G service area (for example no service in Subway, or after leaving my house where I use wi-fi), it shows the 3G symbol on my phone, but I have no access to the internet at all. I toggle the airplane mode and still does not work. Sometimes it works when I turn the phone off and on but that seems rather annoying. I have done a restore but does not seem to help.

Anyone else experience this?? Any suggesstions?
I had this problem once after a storm. I called AT&T and they recommended I turn off 3G and only use EDGE. That seemed to fix it, and the issue resolved in a couple days. Could be different from your problem though if it is happening all the time.