3G data not working - But Phone Shows 3g symbol

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by joesegal76, Jul 28, 2010.

1. joesegal76 macrumors member

I have been having a strange problem with my 3GS phone the last couple of weeks...
    It seems to happen whenever I get back into a 3G service area (for example no service in Subway, or after leaving my house where I use wi-fi), it shows the 3G symbol on my phone, but I have no access to the internet at all. I toggle the airplane mode and still does not work. Sometimes it works when I turn the phone off and on but that seems rather annoying. I have done a restore but does not seem to help.

Anyone else experience this?? Any suggesstions?

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

I had this problem once after a storm. I called AT&T and they recommended I turn off 3G and only use EDGE. That seemed to fix it, and the issue resolved in a couple days. Could be different from your problem though if it is happening all the time.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What OS are you using? If iOS 4, make sure you don't have 3G Data turned off in settings.

4. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

This is happening to me, only in certain areas, on my iPhone 4 as well. It's really annoying.

5. joesegal76 thread starter macrumors member

Yes its IOS4 and 3G is definitely turned on.