3G Data Now Optional?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SleepyHead157, Jun 21, 2009.

1. SleepyHead157 macrumors regular

I don't know if this means anything but my AT&T account shows that the iPhone 3G Data Plan is optional. Check it out.

Attached Files:

2. ryanvalle macrumors member

Personally, an iPhone without data is just an iPod touch. Why spend the money to buy an iPhone when you wont use its data services?

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Maybe for ease of use and wi-fi compared to, say, a RAZR. But is it even possible? I thought all iPhones require a data plan.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hopefully they stop forcing/mandating it on everyone.
    I personally need it but theres plenty of people that dont and rather spend their $30 per month on elsewhere.

5. dave006 macrumors 68020

Not really Optional, it just shows that you don't have an iPhone data plan provisioned on your line but you are currently using an iPhone.

The DER system will display only the valid features available for the detected device. Once an iPhone, PDA or Blackberry plan is added to an account you have to call Customer Care to remove it, you will not have an option to remove it from OLAM.

You might want to double check your line so that you don't get a very large bill.

Dave

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

*facepalm*

Why can nobody comprehend the value of an iPod touch + phone? AND IPOD TOUCH DOES NOT HAVE A PHONE. My mom the technophone has said she would use my old iPhone if not for the extra $20/month required. Why? It's a much better phone than most of the others out there, and it's by far easier to use for older people.

7. ryanvalle macrumors member

Yes, I know the the iPod Touch and the iPhone are two different devices since one does have a phone component to it, but the reason I say a your better off with an iPod touch over an iPhone without Data is simply because of the financial standpoint. Why pay that much more just to have a phone feature (note: paying $199/299 would force you onboard to data. Paying $599/$699 would get you the phone) is just unreasonable for my point of view...

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You're right in that respect, but we're kind of on a kick in this thread about not paying for data. I should've mentioned that in my post. If AT&T offered a no-data option for iPhones, they would instantly sell a billion.

They're marketing the $99 3G as if that $100 was the big holdup on people buying an iPhone. Um, no, it's the requirement to pay $70/month. The data plan costs $360 per year, $720 over the life of the contract. THAT'S A LOTTA MONEY. I can justify it (barely) because of how often I check e-mail on it and read news, but you have to be a heavy Internet user to spend an extra $360 per year on that. Why AT&T didn't offer tiered data plans now, especially in the Great Recession, is beyond me. It makes me want to turn off my WiFi at home so I just use a ton of their precious bandwidth.