3G Data Usage when Iphone 4 is Off?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by irajoshbernstie, Oct 28, 2010.

1. irajoshbernstie macrumors newbie

I just to the Iphone 4 and my new billing cycle just started. I noticed that my data usage is at .74mb but my has been off most of the day and when it is on I just use wi-fi and never 3g. Anyone have any ideas what would cause the data usage?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. irajoshbernstie thread starter macrumors newbie

No I don't have push notification on. I called AT&T and they told me that the apps on my phone maybe updating and since I am not within wi-fi range that it just goes to 3G. That doesn't make any sense since the phone was off all day and on when I am at home with wi-fi on.

4. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

This phantom data usage that many are experiencing while on home wifi is a mystery that no one has yet been able to explain or account for. Go look at the ATT board on this very subject to see how many are affected. While we used to be on unlimited, no one cared but now that many have switched to tiered plans it's becoming a real concern. I turn off my cellular data in settings every night and it's a hassle but it does seem to stop a lot of it. ATT/Apple need to let us know what apps/service is causing this before some consumer protection agencies get involved.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Do you slide to power off your phone or is it in sleep mode? Your phone can't use data if it's not turned on.
    Use the correct terminology, please. :rolleyes:

6. irajoshbernstie thread starter macrumors newbie

My phone is just in sleep mode and I never turn it off/power it off at all. I will turn the cellular data off when I am at home. That's a good idea

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Your phone can still use data when it is asleep. Your headline said your phone was using data when it was off. So which is it?