3G/EDGE switching

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by schatzie, Jul 18, 2008.

1. schatzie macrumors member

Hi,

I just got my white iPhone 3G 2 days ago and I love it!!!!

I have one question regarding 3G. I notice that it switches from 3G to EDGE sometimes. Is there a reason why it does that? It's not like I'm going somewhere that's out of the 3G area. I can leave the phone there on my table and after a while I notice it switches to EDGE. I have to get to settings, turn 3G off and then on again for it to be on 3G again.

Does anyone know why it does this?

Thanks!

2. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

common. search the forums for 3g issues. even if you live in an area blanketed with 3g on the map, the iphone seems to have issues with reception ranging from very little to dropping and going to Edge. Hopefully a software update can fix this.

3. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

I've noticed for example when I am riding the Marta here in Atlanta and when I get downtown most of it is underground therefore of course I won't get signal. But if I get into an open area and get out of the underground tunnels i noticed that it takes FOREVER to kick back from "No Service" to 3G. Now today I experimented and switched 3G off and as soon as I popped out of the tunnel BAM I had full Edge. Just seems 3G is very sensitive *lisp* and requires longer to lock in to a good signal and reflect that on the iPhone.