3G faster on 4.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jethrotoe, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

Been reading some reports on the prox sensor and they were promising.

But what I'm also interested in knowing is if anyone has tried 4.1 with a 3G for improved speed. I've been holding off upgrading from 3.13 for awhile now and sure would like to try it but I can't effectively disable my phone.
    Tks.

2. celticpride678

Steve Jobs specifically mentioned that iOS 4.1 addressed performance issues with the iPhone 3G.

3. bob616 macrumors 6502

he meant the phone not actual 3g data speeds

4. Jethrotoe thread starter macrumors regular

Heard that too. But the proof is in the pudding. I was hoping for an actual field test by a user. Call me skeptical on this one.

If the prox sensor is truly fixed there is a 4 in the very near future anyway. But I depend on the phone daily (like a lot of other people) and can't take a chance. So I'm just asking around.

5. Gjeepguy macrumors regular

so far my iPhone 3G faster.

maps, camera, photos.

let me know what your issues are and i will test.

as far as 3G connection, i dont have a baseline before, but with 2 bars i am getting 1500-2000 download and 150-220 upload

6. Jethrotoe thread starter macrumors regular

Good news indeed. I don't have it installed yet so no actual issues but thanks. My anticipated concerns might be the general operation of the OS. Lot's of horror stories.

Not concerned about connection speed. New ATT 3G system where I live put in in last January. No complaints on that here. It's really good.

7. rk25123 macrumors regular

8. matitalatina macrumors newbie

I can confirm too. I've launched a lot of applications (Safari, iPod, Images, Calendar, App Store etc) and it's still smooth.
    But I've got a problem: where is Game Center icon?! :confused::confused:

9. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Game center isn't supported on iPhone 3G. Performance issues once again, it seems.

10. matitalatina macrumors newbie

What a pity... I had 4.0 GM before, and there was Game Center. I don't believe they remove it for performance issue :(.

11. twcbc macrumors member

How about text? Text of 3G on iOS 4.02 is a nightmare. I really hope Apple fix it for us.

12. matitalatina macrumors newbie

It's very responsive except when you type long SMS: it miss some touches and letters. There was this annoying bug in 4.0 and there's in 4.1 too:(
    By the way I hope it's responsive with JB too, I want to test multitasking with 4.1.

13. celticpride678

That's weird. I'm running the GM of iOS 4.1 and I've got Game Center on my home screen. On an iPod touch 2nd generation.

14. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

That is kind of weird. I'm pretty sure Apple announced that the iPod touch 2nd gen would not be supported either.

15. celticpride678

Apple didn't announce it. It was just a change in the beta's. But there it is:

Attached Files:

16. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

You're right, it was only mentioned in the release notes. So I guess the iPod touch 2nd gen is supported now ?! After all, it does sport a slightly faster CPU than the iPhone 3G.

17. celticpride678

But knowing Apple, that could change extremely quickly.