Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonisign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Hi,
So I read that if an iPhone was purchased after May 27th it would be possible to be eligible for a free upgrade to the 3G iPhone. Although I purchased the phone before May 27th, I activated after May 27th. Would I be eligible for the free upgrade since I activated it in June, or at least the standard 2-year contract ($199) price?

Thanks!

harodude

macrumors regular
May 7, 2007
Hi,
So I read that if an iPhone was purchased after May 27th it would be possible to be eligible for a free upgrade to the 3G iPhone. Although I purchased the phone before May 27th, I activated after May 27th. Would I be eligible for the free upgrade since I activated it in June, or at least the standard 2-year contract ($199) price?

Thanks!

No matter what, If you have had an original iPhone on your account, you will be eligible for the subsidized pricing of either 8gb =$199 or 16gb =$299

jonisign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Great! I'm curious if I'll be able to get a 3G one free since I activated it after May 27th...

harodude

macrumors regular
May 7, 2007
Great! I'm curious if I'll be able to get a 3G one free since I activated it after May 27th...

One of my lines was activated after May 27th, actually on July 10th and he still had to pay the $199 price.

Thats still a heck of a lot cheaper than non contract or even the non-subsidized pricing!

Hope you have a hassle-free time doing this!
Enjoy the 3G iPhone, whichever you choose!

jonisign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Great thanks for your help. Still deciding whether or not I'm going to upgrade! By any chance any of you wouldn't know how to force iTunes to accept a backup of a restored iPhone. I upgraded, the phone to 2.0, restored, and now am trying to restore a back up and it won't let me because it says the data file is corrupt and incompatible with the phone. It should be exactly the same though since it was done with the 2.0 software!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.