3G + full bars = slow data???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daitalianjob, Jun 29, 2010.

1. daitalianjob macrumors regular

Does anyone have a problem with data sending/receiving even though their phone says 3G and has full bars? Mine is going extremely slow

2. Goldielocks19 macrumors member

Goldielocks19

This one actually might be my only issue. I honestly do not recall my 3GS doing that.

3. toffa813 macrumors regular

AT&T is busier and thus slower recently? I can't come up with a reason why... ;)

4. dulaney22 macrumors regular

This is an AT&T problem. My 3GS does it all the time.

5. oneteam macrumors regular

I'm experiencing same issue in Cincinnati. Usually, I have great signal (of course, whenever I don't touch the seam on the lower left of my iPhone 4); but since last night, I noticed the data going extremely slow.

6. daitalianjob thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah me too. I'm in NJ and its usually extremely fast no matter where I am but now its really slow (to a frustrating point) even though I have 3G and full bars.

7. MOkAONE macrumors newbie

Someone correct me if i'm wrong. But i would assume that the amount of bars you have on your phone have nothing to do with your 3g network because AT&T's 3g network doesn't cover all of its cellular network. So while u might be able to make calls, it doesn't necessarily means you have 3g.

edit: just read OPs last post. it might just be that there alot of activity right now. in either case, i believe the statement i made above is still true.

8. Luminyx macrumors member

I'm having this exact problem. Full bars, 3G, yet horribly slow data.

Sometimes my 3G works fine though. But then maybe a couple hours later, it turns extremely sluggish / stops working. I called AT&T customer service yesterday and they told me to do some things. It ended up speeding up, but I don't think it was much on their part.

And daitalianjob, I'm from NJ as well (central).

9. daitalianjob thread starter macrumors regular

how did u speed it up?

10. michael31986 macrumors 68040

I thought I was only one. I have full bars of 3G and then it's slow data. I'm in nj as well must have been a nj thing.

11. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

same here in DC. Speeds are up and down. Full bars and slow data since late last night.

12. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I live in northern Kentucky and have the same problem as well. I'm also getting (occasionally) the "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding" or something along those lines. For the longest time I repeatedly got the "Could not connect to data network" or something like that. I switch over to EDGE though and it works fine. Odd.

13. fuzion macrumors 6502

I have 5 bars of 3G, 2055ms ping to the test server, 425kbps down 524kbps up

I guess i'll stick to testing at home on the wifi cause thats 9mbps down and 4.6 up!

14. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I think the obvious problem is...

The term "3G" is no longer in the name of the phone.

So what makes us all think we should be getting good 3G service?

(sarcastic obviously)
    :)