3G FW2.2 unlock question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acousticbiker, Dec 9, 2008.

1. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

I'm going to travel internationally and would really like to safely unlock my 3G. On Craigslist there are people who claim that they can do this...is there actually a safe way to do this? Has anyone actually done this?

2. bradenwh macrumors 6502

No. You cannot unlock the iPhone 3G yet. You can always buy one factory unlocked, but they're always very expensive.

The iPhone 3G can be hardware unlocked, but there is no documentation for it and, for the average user, would be next to impossible.

3. efice32 macrumors 6502

Completely unlocking your phone requires some serious hardware work inside the phone and takes some time. For these reasons among others it's pretty expensive. If something went wrong obviously your warranty wouldn't cover it as opening up the phone would void it, I believe.

So yes, it can be done, but I probably wouldn't recommend it. I think you can add some kind of international thing to your carrier's plan that will allow it to use towers in other countries. Since the iPhone is just a standard GSM phone it'll work on a lot of networks around the world. This obviously isn't free, but neither is unlocking your phone.