3G Glossy Finish Lifting / Matte Finish Mystery Solved?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Californian, Jul 12, 2009.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yes, I'm a "frequent iPhone returner"... That's not the point of this post, so get over your holier than thou self.

I've had my current 3G for a little over 2 weeks and have been very pleased with the quality of this one. [sarcasm]I was doing my daily "check for reasons to return my iPhone"[/sarcasm] when I noticed what I thought was my invisibleSHEILD lifting near the chrome bezel near the power button (I was actually making sure my invisibleSHEILD wasn't lifting anywhere). Upon further examination I noticed dozens of what looked like cracks in the plastic housing in that area until I realized it actually looks like the glossy finish of the housing is lifting there when lo and behold I saw what appears to be a matte black finish underneath.

When I get home and get an opportunity to do a more thorough examination I will come back with an update, until then ... Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering if the matte finish leaks were actually unfinished housings without the glossy finish. Just a thought.

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

A plastic without a shiny finish like that on the back of the iPhone will look "matte." It's just the difference of it being a grippy matte like what was supposedly in the picture or matte as in non-reflective.

3. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

True, but the "grippiness" of it was pure speculation as none of us could touch it. The matteness of it was undisputed, as we all could see it.

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Exactly. It's only expected that the plastic will look matte if it has a shiny coating.

5. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Do you have any pictures? I'm interested in what it looks like.