3G GPS becoming less accurate over time?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by eezing, Jun 1, 2010.

1. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Have had my 3G for almost 2 years now and it seems the GPS is not as accurate as it once was. I find that many times when driving, the blue dot in google maps will be up to 3-4 streets off. My girlfriend's GPS on her 3G is even worse. Her's will sometimes take up to 45 seconds longer than mine to zero in on our location. Fresh OS install doesn't appear to make a difference. I feel like the GPS wasn't this bad when I first bought the phone.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yep, it truly sucks. Consider yourself fortunate to be only a few streets off.

3. eezing thread starter macrumors 6502

eezing

Right, but was yours always that bad?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, it used to be almost perfect.

5. eezing thread starter macrumors 6502

eezing

hmmm.... I wonder if a trip to the Apple store would get me a new phone because of this (applecare). What do you think?

6. astarling06 macrumors regular

astarling06

I had similar problems with my 3G and I took it in to Genius bar and they replaced the phone because I had AppleCare. The "genius" was slightly skeptical at first until we went outside and walked around the block with it and it was roughly a mile off.

7. eezing thread starter macrumors 6502

eezing

May work for my girlfriend. My doesn't have much of an issue until in the car.

It appears the Apple Geniuses have become much more skeptical of customer's problems since the original iPhone. That corporate attitude is really starting to shine.

8. astarling06 macrumors regular

astarling06

Most of the times I get really good service. I guess that particular genius wasn't having a great day. It's not like I'd drive the 100+ miles it takes to get to the nearest Apple store to make up some reason for the GPS not working.

9. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a