3G has slight light leak - worth replacing for a refurb?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orange42, Jul 2, 2009.

1. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I noticed a few days ago some light coming in through the side of the screen, but never knew that was what a "light leak" was. Well there's a few spots, and I'm very anal with this phone it never has been dropped or basically touched anything bad.

Is it worth trying to get it replaced for a refurbished one? The phone is only like less than 3 months old and I have Apple Care. Are refurbished 3G's as good as regular ones? I don't want to regret doing this, especially after reading how many crap replacements this guy got http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=737394

I also have some software issues that have not been resolved, even after restoring a few times.

2. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I recently exchanged my 3G for other reasons and the refurb has a minor light leak. It doesn't really bother me much though I was slightly annoyed at the time.

You said it has a "slight" light leak--for that I wouldn't bother. Also, it's kinda hard to figure out if the refurb you might get would have the light leak as well--since all Apple stores are very brightly lit.

4. chox99 macrumors regular

Apple genius told me refurb will most likey to have slight light leak too. So, he basically told me "you can exchange if you want but new one will have light leak". I have a slight light leak and a speck of dust under screen but everything else is perfect. I wouldn't risk it.

5. antdfsc macrumors member

antdfsc

I am on my 3rd black 16GB, and my original (launch date), and my first replacement both had light leaks, with the 1st replacement being worse then my original. My 2nd replacement and current phone has no light leaks... I think it is kind of a crap shoot as to weather or not it will leak. Also when mentioning it as a problem, the guys at the genius bar didn't seem to think it was abnormal.