3G home button is acting up

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by csmitty, Nov 5, 2008.

1. csmitty macrumors regular

I have a JB 2.1 and was wondering if anyone else was having home button issues. Sometimes it works fine, one click to home screen, double click in sleep to music. But sometimes it just dosn't do a damn thing. I have to hit multiple times just to get to home screen, sometimes pressing it different ways helps. Its very frustrating and seems to be completely random from what I can tell. Restarting and Force restart sometimes works, sometimes dosn't. I really think its a hardware issue but really hoping its software as I really don't want a refurb (if they've started those yet, or are they replacing with new ones?) So just wanted to see if anyone else was having the same issue. Thanks.

2. getatkyill macrumors regular

Nope I've never had this problem, guess just bring it back to Apple and get a new one since it seems to be a hardware issue.

Just remember to restore it.

3. csmitty thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I would. I want to restore it and see if that helps, but I've gotten it just how I like it.

Do you know if they're replacing with new phones or refurbs?

4. navigates macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't say I had the same problem but in my case it was something else. When charging the home button would not work. So I went to the store and got it replaced.

To answer the second question here, I was told by the Rep that the replacements are new ones and not refurbs in the US yet. If it were a refurb then the serial would say so.

In my case when I got a white box piece, it said 0 hours of usage. I've seen that it will either have 0 hrs of usage which is very rare or 5 hrs which means it has gone through a through QA Test cycle. Either way you should be fine. I say changing it is a good idea definitely if you can.

5. csmitty thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds like something similar. Thanks for the info though. I've been reading that most replacements are refurbs, with the 5xxx number. But it seems that they're most good units. So I guess I'll do a restore and see if the problem persists and if so take it in.

But if anyone else has this type problem i'd be interested to hear about it.

6. rsmith652 macrumors member

I work for AT&T and we have had several iphones with that home button issue. We just direct the customer to apple customer service and they get a replacement phone. Not sure if they are new or referbs.

7. csmitty thread starter macrumors regular

cool thanks for that.

I'll be near a store next week so I guess i'll go in. stinks cuz i just put on the iskin solo and the screen protector is is way better than the one I had. forget the brand (it was at best buy) but it was almost semi opaque. Maybe I can re apply this one hopefully.

i was alittle worried about refurbs, just from other phones, but it sounds like iphone refurbs are pretty good quality.