3G in Brooklyn/Manhattan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darkus, Dec 8, 2008.

1. darkus macrumors regular

iPhone users, does 3g penetrate buildings in the city at all? I heard the 3g runs only on 1900 in NYC and so im guessing we don't get inbuilding 3g reception consistently.

Thanks for any opinions!

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Since this is mostly about signal going through buildings, yes. Buildings i've been in Chicago get fine 3G signal.

3. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

It's mediocre at best, in my opinion. Depends where you are. Some places you can have 5 bars of 3G.. then walk down the hall and you'll have 2 bars of EDGE and then 4 bars of gprs... then 5 bars of 3G again. Then you go to the bathroom and you'll have no service.

Then there are other places where it is constant 5 bars of 3G. Hopefully you'll get that.

4. luser41 macrumors newbie

For most data centers I can forget 3G. For some of them you'll be lucky to get voice service unless you have verizon. The only "normal" places I consistently have trouble is in the taller buildings like 1 Penn Plaza. Above 35 or something like that there's hardly any service from any provider so it's probably not a 1900 vs 800 thing. It's been a couple of years so it could have changed in that building. It can vary widely even a few feet one direction or another in any building really.

Vierizon definitely has the edge when it comes to reception inside buildings in my opinion but there are few enough places where ATT simply fails that I can easily deal with it. Since the 2.2 software my dropped calls have gone way way down. Until 2.2 I was considering getting a verizon flip for voice.

5. darkus thread starter macrumors regular

Wow thats scary to read to be honest. I have a verizon phone right now and never had one dropped call or lack of signal anywhere in NYC i've been so far. Im no verizon fan boy at all, but i think i have been babied by their coverage maps, so it sounds like I would be very frustrated if i moved to at&t/iphone..

Has anyone ever noticed that in life you can never have your cake and eat it too? :)