3G in far west Chicago suburbs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by john0879, Sep 10, 2009.

1. john0879 macrumors newbie

Mar 5, 2009
    So I just got an iPhone for my birthday a few weeks ago knowing that I would only have edge coverage. Well I just checked my phone shortly after 10PM and I had full bars 3G compared to the 2 bars of edge earlier this evening!!!

Does anyone know how to find out if the update included turning on the 850MHz band?

Anyone in the DeKalb/Sycamore area notice improved coverage inside buildings?

Update: 3-5 bars 3G at my desk at work. I was previously getting 2-4 bars edge. Slightly better signal strength inside here.
  2. Entertainment72 macrumors member

Aug 19, 2009
    SouthWest Florida
    Im in Chicago now for work.. 3G in Chicago is SLOOOOOOOOWWWWW wow.. I'm use to 3G in my hometown...now I know what everyone complains about. :eek:
  3. oxdtown macrumors member

Aug 19, 2008
    Dekalb, IL
    yes sir

im in sycamore on orchard and i have full bars of 3g this is new because when i left at 8 i had 2 bars of edge and now have 3g i guess the rep in elgin was only a day off on telling me the 9th earlier this month
  4. john0879 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 5, 2009
    Have you run a speed test downtown? I'm getting 1.4Mbps down/236kbps up sitting at my desk in DeKalb. I got 2Mbps down/281kbps up at home last night. Not bad.

I don't go downtown too much. Just curious to know what to expect if I do.
  5. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

Jun 25, 2008
    They are currently updating Chicago as one of their first 5 cities or so with "faster" 3G :D
  6. ~Phi macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm downtown Chicago right now with full 3g bars on my 3gs. Just did a speed test and got Download of 1064 Kbps and Upload of 113Kbps.