3G in Northern Virginia

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacGeekDC, Sep 17, 2008.

1. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

I have been thinking about getting an iPhone 3G and I am curious about how good the 3G coverage is in Northern Virginia. Thanks for any help.

2. CLuv macrumors 6502

Depends on where you're at. If you're near the Franconia-Springfield Metro, expect a dead spot in coverage. The AT&T map online says Best/Better coverage, but in that area from the Metro to Manchester Lakes it's labeled on their internal map as very moderate. That area has an extremely high concentration of AT&T users, and there are no plans for towers at all. I've talked with 3 techs.
    Couple of spots on 395 north to D.C. will drop, but outside of that no real issues.
    I did have the 1st Gen iPhone, and the 3G does help due to the plastic casing. I get one extra bar at home on a good day.

3. pj rage macrumors 6502

I get great reception overall in the NoVa area. Especially with the 2.1 update. There are definitely some 3G deadspots, but it's definitely not unbearable or anything. Once you start getting outside of the heavily populated areas, though, such as where I work in southern maryland, you're lucky to have edge. I run through alot of completely dead zones. AT&T doesn't have nearly as complete of coverage as Verizon does, in my experience, but it's totally worth it for the phone.

4. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

It is pretty good. As others have said, there are a few 3G dead spots where you might not expect (between East Falls Church Metro and Glebe), but overall I've been pleased. Don't expect that you will have 3G all the time, but the vast majority of the time you will.

5. pj rage macrumors 6502

Haha, "where you wouldn't expect" - ain't that the truth. I never expected one on the middle of the Wilson bridge. But sure enough, 3G on the MD side, 5 bars, no problem, 3G on the VA side, 5 bars, no problem, but 2 bars Edge in the middle of the bridge. WTF? It DOES seem fixed now with 2.1, though. 2 bars or so 3G on the bridge now.

6. unixfool macrumors 6502a

I live in Gainesville and I don't get jack out in the Piedmont South area, although if I'm on I-66 (coming to or leaving Gainesville), I get great 3G coverage. I also work in Ashburn. While I don't get any 3G (I'm lucky if I get ANY reception in the building) coverage near the office, all around it I get 3G.