3G in the US?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dextertangocci, Jul 7, 2008.

1. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Hi all, I'm just curious about 3G speeds in th US. I heard that the iPhone will only be able to achieve speeds of 1.4mbps? This is classified as HSDPA. What I would like to know is the 1.4mbps speed limit there because of a flaw in the iPhone 3G chip or with at&t's network? I'm typing this on my Nokia 6120c with 3.6mbps HSDPA (sorry about the bad spacing, couldnt access the mobile site). In South Africa we will soon be upgraded to 7.2mbps HSDPA, provided your phone/modem supports it. What sort of speeds do you get on at&t's network and is it possible for the iPhone to reach those speeds? Thanks.

2. syclonefx macrumors regular

syclonefx

I don't think there is a flaw in either. I think AT&T is afraid of how much strain the iPhone will put on there system at launch. I see the speed increasing over time.

3. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

That makes me a little less happy about the 3G service being rolled out. I wonder, without a teather, how much that's going to really make a difference for strict handheld use. Oh well, not like AT&T even has 3G service where I live on my college campus. At least I'm only there for another year.

4. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

It's been reported that the reason att and apple are only displaying 1.4mbps throughput is they wanted to be a little bit more conservative with the overall throughput rather than boast a high number that it can do and then have a bunch of pple complain about speeds not being up to specs.

I'm pretty sure the iphone is capable and that the att 3g network will spit out faster speeds.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/06/16/iphone.3g.speeds.14mbps/

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

AT&T says that they could be reaching 20 Mbs by the end of 09.

7. dextertangocci thread starter macrumors 68000