3g iPad 2, delayed launch?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by amarcus, Feb 27, 2011.

1. amarcus macrumors 6502

Just wondering what you guys think about the 3G iPad 2's release date. Is it going to be released after the wifi iPad 2 (like the original iPad) or at the same time? I'm hoping for the same time but betting on afterwards. Does anyone remember why the original 3G iPad was delayed?

Adam

2. Yeah Man macrumors member

3. profets macrumors 68040

I didn't really think about this.. Though in Canada last year we had the delayed launch (late april i think?) and both models launched at the same time.

I'm actually curious as to whether we'll see one type of '3G' iPad2 using the new qualcomm mdm6600 that is in the verizon iPhone 4 since it is capable of working with all carriers & bands (gsm, cdma, hspa, etc).

4. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I think it was so Apple could get approval for it from the FCC?

That'd be awesome. One would be awesome, one would be able to use the device with T-Mobiles 3G then.

5. profets macrumors 68040

I think there's a good chance of one 3G iPad, and one iPhone '5'. Apple is efficient & smart when it comes to logistics and supply chain.. actually they blow other manufacturers out of the water with how efficient they are. I think multiple configurations aren't necessary, and probably a big reason why they went for that new qualcomm chip.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yeh, it's almost a given that there will probably be one version of the iPad and iPhone. It simplifies things a whole lot. Better than having to sort through all those dozens of blackberry versions on all the different carriers..

7. newdeal macrumors 68020

I really hope that they put GPS into the wifi model so I don't have to worry about waiting for the 3g to become available

8. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

I hope the 3G comes at the same time but only if I can keep my unlimited 3G data. If they going to have the cap, then why not just get the wifi and get the hotspot option on my iPhone and just use that.

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If all they got is iPad2 WiFi, I will wait as 3G is a must have for me. My iPad1 3G will do just fine until then. I see no reason not to introduce both as the FCC should not be holding it back.