3G iPad + Bluetooth + GVoice cheaper than phone plan

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tralasau, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Tralasau macrumors newbie

I just made my first call on google voice using my 64G WiFi only iPad, and it got me thinking, if i had only bought the 3G, I could essentially be paying $20 a month for a phone service (if I were grandfathered in to at&t's original plan)

If the iPad2 is 4G on verizon, then I will probably upgrade when it comes around.

My question is for all of you with Bluetooth ear pieces:

My Plantronics Explorer 220 Bluetooth headset is not recognized by my iPad, which headsets are recognized?

Next, if it is recognized, can you make a call with it using google voice (& the required talkatone app)? (make sure it is your bluetooth mic making the sound and not the iPad mic)

Ideal scenario:
    iPad in backpack and the bluetooth earpiece in pocket.

Someone calls your GVoice number

iPad alerts with sound

Answer by pushing Bluetooth headset

(coverage = carriers 3/4G coverage)

Thanks!

2. jasg49 macrumors member

My understanding (from the TalkaTone tweets) is that BT voice is not supported by iPad and iPod Touch hardware. They linked to this Apple Support doc http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3647

3. somology macrumors newbie

I pay $45/month for 3G/4G wifi with a ClearSpot, which covers my iPad 3G, iPod Touch, MBP 17" i7, and my home PC if I happen to be there.

I use Line2.com for $10 per month. So I pay $55 total for 4G data and unlimited US/Canada phone service.

If I go to Skype or other service, it would be less. If I switched to the iSpot for just my iPad and iPod touch, I would just pay $25/month for 4G.

I did have the original AT&T $25/month plan, which is why I bought the 3G iPad. It was unreliable, slow, and required me to find wifi anyway to just download or stream. I canceled it after 2 months. I wish I had just bought the iPad wifi version.