3G iPad + Bluetooth + GVoice cheaper than phone plan

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tralasau, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Tralasau macrumors newbie

Apr 10, 2010
    I just made my first call on google voice using my 64G WiFi only iPad, and it got me thinking, if i had only bought the 3G, I could essentially be paying $20 a month for a phone service (if I were grandfathered in to at&t's original plan)

If the iPad2 is 4G on verizon, then I will probably upgrade when it comes around.

My question is for all of you with Bluetooth ear pieces:

My Plantronics Explorer 220 Bluetooth headset is not recognized by my iPad, which headsets are recognized?

Next, if it is recognized, can you make a call with it using google voice (& the required talkatone app)? (make sure it is your bluetooth mic making the sound and not the iPad mic)

Ideal scenario:
    iPad in backpack and the bluetooth earpiece in pocket.

Someone calls your GVoice number

iPad alerts with sound

Answer by pushing Bluetooth headset

(coverage = carriers 3/4G coverage)

2. jasg49 macrumors member

Mar 19, 2010
    My understanding (from the TalkaTone tweets) is that BT voice is not supported by iPad and iPod Touch hardware. They linked to this Apple Support doc http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3647
  3. somology macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2010
    I pay $45/month for 3G/4G wifi with a ClearSpot, which covers my iPad 3G, iPod Touch, MBP 17" i7, and my home PC if I happen to be there.

I use Line2.com for $10 per month. So I pay $55 total for 4G data and unlimited US/Canada phone service.

If I go to Skype or other service, it would be less. If I switched to the iSpot for just my iPad and iPod touch, I would just pay $25/month for 4G.

I did have the original AT&T $25/month plan, which is why I bought the 3G iPad. It was unreliable, slow, and required me to find wifi anyway to just download or stream. I canceled it after 2 months. I wish I had just bought the iPad wifi version.