3G iPad vs 3G iPhone vs WiFi iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JUiCEJamie, Mar 4, 2012.

1. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, (and it might be completely coincidental) but I've bought both the 1st Gen 3G iPad, and the 2nd.

Is it me? Or speeds, reliability and perhaps overall cellular technology just isn't as good as the iPhone?

On both generations, I've cancelled my 3G data plan for my iPad and just used my iPhone to tether. I travel a lot on motorways/highways and I just find that tethering my iPhone data is WAY more reliable than iPad?

Is it even worth getting a 3G iPad once more?

2. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

It is worth it to those who don't have an iPhone or a phone with tethering capabilities.

I think the majority of people who purchase the 3G iPad (myself included), do it on the assumption that it will come in handy when needed. Whether it be on a road trip, cruise, overseas, commuting, what have you. It is exponentially easier to just have the one iPad with its exceptional 10 hour battery life vs. tethering from a phone which may give you five hours battery life at best.

But the biggest culprit is the somewhat-ancient unlimited data plan that AT&T quickly pulled the plug on soon after iPad's inception. 3GB of monthly data just doesn't seem sufficient for the data-hogging Hulu and Netflix. It is plenty for what the majority use it for though- email, Facebook, Twitter, Games, and forums.

Maybe Apple will introduce a Sprint iPad on Wednesday and I can get my damn unlimited data back! Until Sprint does ye old bait-and-switch that is...

3. VinceDae macrumors regular

I buy a 3G(4G) iPad 3 because when im out a whole day, its easy used for 5-10 hours, and if I used my iPhone it would be out of juice in no time - so thats why im getting the 3G :)

4. JUiCEJamie thread starter macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Very good point! iPad battery life has always been fantastic!
    (If only we could charge an iPhone using the iPad!) haha!

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

for real road warriors (international flights, for example) an external battery pack is a great device. it is about the size and weight of an iphone with a couple of usb ports. you can plug in both your iphone and ipad. as i recall, it didn't charge them (alas), but kept them from draining. so, i would plug in my ipad at the beginning of a flight for a few hours, and then when the charge ran out on the external battery pack, switch over to just the ipad. it can extend the usage by several hours.