3g ipad2 or wifi

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mfr1340, Jul 14, 2011.

1. mfr1340 macrumors regular

I want to get a second ipad 2, gave the first one to my wife, but I miss having one. Am having problems getting a 64gig wifi, but can get a 3g 64gig any time i want. I don't want the 3g but its all I can get at my walmart store. Is it worth just getting then 3g and not useing it? Is the 3g any different then the wifi ones, except for the 3g sim. does it have a better gps in it compaired to the wifi ones?

2. jagolden macrumors 6502

jagolden

If you only plan on using around wi-fi hotspots, then go with the wi-fi only. If there's any possibility you may want to use it while on the road (literally) then get the one with 3g.

Other than having the 3g, I don't believe there's any difference between the two.

It really depends on your intended usage. Think about it though, will you always have wi-fi nearby?

Either way, just order it from Apple if you have to. Sure you have to wait a week or 2 but I found it much better than trying to chase one down.

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Why go to walmart, order from Apple and have it at your door in a matter of days?!?!?!

The 3G version has a gps chip, which allows for use of turn by turn navigation apps. I'd say thats one great advantage of the 3G version over the wifi only. Wifi doesn't have the same GPS as the 3G.

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

You can get a pretty decent Garmin for 129 bucks. To some, that's a high price to pay for just GPS (if they never intend to use 3G).

5. mfr1340 thread starter macrumors regular

ipad2 gps

I have gps's, I just wanted to be able to use the gps on a full size screen. Can you use the gps function (real GPS) while on wifi, or does the GPS chip only get used while in 3g mode?

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Concur...I like having the GPS chip as I believe more and more apps will utilize this feature in the near future...it's also nice to be able to activate 3G when needed as I am not always near a wifi hotspot...

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

IIRC, the GPS chip works with wifi as well...