3G iPhone 42Mbps HSPA+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by number9, May 23, 2008.

1. number9 macrumors 6502

Engadget is reporting that an Australian news site has a direct quote of a "senior executive" at Telstra saying the following regarding the 3G iPhone:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/23/3g-iphone-to-support-42mbps-evolved-hspa-data/

2. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

3. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

If thats true then its quite a turnaround from iPhone 1 with maximum network speed of EDGE!!

EDIT: Speculation Alert

Been looking into this HSPA+ technology. Interestingly Qualcomm have released a chip that may fit the iPhone bill perfectly. The chip is the QSC7230.

Information about it here

The news was from a while back, but it would sort of fit in with being put in the iPhone and testing maybe??

EDIT 2:
    Just noticed this, silly silly me.

4. g8bo macrumors member

g8bo

it could be true! steve always likes to say that they are years ahead to the next leading brand^^

5. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

42 Mbps. Yeah Right. I m using 512Kbps on my DSL connection:mad:. Thats UNFAIR.

6. frosse macrumors 6502a

So a HSDPA enabled network could easily (but exspensive I guess) be upgraded to HSPA+? And there is a new cost efficient chip for this?

Can that chip take advantage of plain HSDPA?

Has any other phone companies announced that they will upgrade to HSPA+?

7. number9 thread starter macrumors 6502

If they put the right chip in it, then it's just a matter of the carrier upgrading their network. I think you'll see more of these "leaks" from carrier execs as you get closer and closer to the release, especially in countries where it won't be exclusive to one carrier. Divulging information like this (be it true or not) is just a way to make it seem like they're the best carrier for the iPhone.

Either way, that would be nice. This kind of fits in with AT&T's announcement to increase the speed of its 3G network in 2009.

8. frosse macrumors 6502a

Uhm, didnt AT&T refer to the areas where HSDPA access wasnt available? They wanted a 100% HSDPA coverage on their UMTS map, I think.

9. number9 thread starter macrumors 6502

You're right, but that's in reference to getting 3G in every market, I think I'm talking about a different thing.... from Electronista on May 14, 2008:

It's not quite the 42 Mbps that Telstra Aus is promising, but its much faster than conventional 3G.

10. frosse macrumors 6502a

Well if AT&T is doint HSPA+, Apple is sure doing it with iPhone.

11. frosse macrumors 6502a

Is this HSPA+ (eHSPA) rumor still active? I havent heard anything, actually I havent heard anything at all regarding the kind of 3G we'll see in the latest rumors. Maybe everyone presumes HSDPA...I dunno...Its likely...but not 100%...could be 1% chance of HSPA+ right? :cool: