3g iPhone and Nike

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by philskillz, Jun 13, 2008.

1. philskillz macrumors newbie

Did anyone hear of any new apps in the marketplace that utilizes the GPS for tracking your running (Similar to the Nike + iPod http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/ )?

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

that would be very cool if they integrated the GPS into a running app, to track distance, time and the route taken

3. Rigsby macrumors regular

Wow! I hadn't even thought of that - as a big fan of Nike+ this would be great, and presumably fairly easy to program a bit of tracking software.

It just confirms the often stated opinion that the App Store will be the real killer feature of the iPhone.

4. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yeah I briefly thought about this and it's interesting to not need the accessory to be able to do this anymore. I bet Nike will make the program that will track you or another company seeing as you won't need the Nike gear to do it.

5. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

It wouldn't be accurate enough. Remember this isn't GPS from a satellite receiver in the phone. It's a triangulated cell signal. Not nearly accurate enough for running. You'll get wildly inaccurate readings.
    If you want something for running look at the Garmin forerunner 205, 305 or 405.
    The nike system works via an accelerometer.

6. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

iPhone 3G goes a step further, using a unique approach to find the closest satellites and more quickly identify your position. That gives you a faster fix on your location than with regular GPS.

In addition to A-GPS, iPhone 3G uses signals from GPS satellites, Wi-Fi hot spots, and cellular towers to get the most accurate location fast. If GPS is available, iPhone displays a blue GPS indicator. But if you’re inside — without a clear line of sight to a GPS satellite — iPhone finds you via Wi-Fi. If you’re not in range of a Wi-Fi hot spot, iPhone finds you using cellular towers.

from apple.com/iphone/features/gps.html

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, it is.

(Sorry, soberbrain. I know your post says the same thing, but I figuered it needs to be said in a simple way too since in-depth explinations aren't read by everyone around here.)

8. philskillz thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought the a-gps first looks for gps, then wi-fi, and lastly cell tower as indicated here. Gps would lock in pretty accurately for a runner.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Aye. We don't yet know the exact type of A-GPS chip it is for sure, and how it's being used, as not all A-GPS are alike.

If anyone is doubting the chip - it was shown as tracking someone on in SF in the keynote. APple's going to do what Nokia and Sony are trying to.

10. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

So this is the equivalent of SiRF III technology?

11. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

I think that there's a good chance of Nike + integration, this is from a while ago http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/11/nike-going-wifi-and-3g-headed-to-iphone/.

Admittedly you'd expect an app like this to be previewed but the GPS integration would hav stolen the thunder of the later announcement. In time I hope that Nike create a bluetooth heart rate monitor and then this could be a really competitive system. Plus with GPS use it on a bike too, although obviously you'd have to tell it that you were cycling and not just running bloody fast!

12. philgilder macrumors 68000

From Apples website:
    How it works.
    GPS (Global Positioning System) technology uses information from earth-orbiting satellites to find locations. A receiver estimates the distance to GPS satellites based on the time it takes for signals to reach it, then uses that information to calculate locations. But the A-GPS (Assisted GPS) system on iPhone goes one step further, using information from mobile networks to find the closest satellites more quickly. That gives you a faster fix on your location than with regular GPS.

13. RunKeeper macrumors newbie

Sorry for the shameless plug, but my company, RunKeeper.com has done just that. You can check us out at www.runkeeper.com for more info.

Jason

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Hey, when you've got a product as good as that looks, I'll forgive the plug :D
    When do you expect to have it released?

15. philgilder macrumors 68000

pretty good, but shameless plug :p

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not a big fan of shameless plugs, but I'll forgive you since the app looks like something I'd like to use. ;)

What are your plans as far as additional functionality?

17. Rigsby macrumors regular

Looks tempting, for sure. I'm actually quite surprised that it's allowed, given Apple's tie-in with Nike, and a little surprised that there isn't a Nike/Apple equivalent - although it would presumably not help drive Nike shoe sales.

It will certainly be interesting to see how it works in practice (and whether there is any potential for interfacing with other logging sites, not least Nike+ itself).

18. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

AFAIK, Apple aren't trying to protect any markets with the App Store - as long as it complies with the SDK rules, they won't stop it going into the App Store

19. FJR macrumors regular

I'd be concerned about this type of app mainly because of battery life.

The thing would have to keep your phone on continuously, continuously connected to GPS. That would KILL your battery with a quickness. People talk about battery gains from turning location services off, all that does is keep it from accessing GPS on a pretty infrequent basis when an app needs GPS info. Continuous use of GPS rips through the battery, if you've ever kept maps open and tracked yourself for a little while, you know what I am talking about.

I also believe that its currently impossible for an app to disable auto-lock, so you'd have to change those settings each time you run to turn auto lock off, or the phone will just go into sleep mode, which turns GPS off and any apps being used stop running. (I could be wrong about this).

Also, the screen would be lit up the entire time, because the app is running the whole time, again destroying battery life.

So, adding that all up, I don't see where this would work for anything more than a 45 minute run, which isn't really worth it for most runners I know. I've continuously used GPS for around an hour and my battery went from 100% to 10% during that time. I'm assuming you'd also want to play your ipod on your phone, which would get it to around 45 minutes, I would think.

20. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I'll be interested to see how this gets implemented with regards to battery life, ect. Looking forward to it Jason.

21. Dizle macrumors 6502

cool app but as long as I have my shuffle ipod theres no way I'm putting anything on my arm. But damn I wish I never got a shuffle because I would use this app for sure! Also don't know how the phone would hold up with 15-20 miles worth of running every week.

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Apparently he's tested it w/ an 8 mile run. I'll assume his tests are correct over your assumptions. But I guess we'll see when it comes out.

It will be a pain to switch from my Nano...but I'd be willing to try it to add GPS info to my run.

23. ogdogg macrumors 6502

I'd heard a rumor that in 2.1 the GPS works MUCH better. Perhaps that update (2.1 not 2.01) will allow a Nike+ app. I'm not much of a runner, but it'd be cool to see how far and fast I walk my dogs.

24. RunKeeper macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, and thanks for your tolerance of my shameless plug. How else would you have known about RunKeeper :)

Let me address a few issues mentioned above:
    Availability - We submitted to Apple yesterday for approval, so while it is out of our hands, it has been taking 2-3 weeks on average for the apps I have been following to go from submission to approval, so we hope ours will be similar.
    Functionality - We wanted to start with the core bones (duration, distance, pace, speed) and then let the users drive where we go next. Certain functions will be no-brainers like elevation, split times, and data import/export, but much of the functionality will be prioritized through customer feedback.
    Disabling auto-lock - You are correct that when the iPhone auto-lock kicks in, the GPS stops tracking so you do need to disable that feature. And yes, this does mean the screen needs to stay on (at least for now until Apple addresses this). But even with the screen on and with the iPod playing in the background, we have been getting 2.5+ hours of continuous fitness tracking (closer to 3 if you dismiss the low battery indicator once or twice when it comes on), which is more than enough for most (but not all) runners. We are testing tweaks to screen brightness and other settings to see if we can extend that even further.
    Durability - All of my runs have been using the Marware Sportsuit Convertible case, which you wear on your arm, enables easy access to the buttons, and provides protection from perspiration and weather conditions.
    2.1 release - We also heard this release will have improvements to the GPS, which is nothing but good news for RunKeeper.

Our goal was to have as good a first showing as we can, and then grow with the device over time. We are proud of our version 1 RunKeeper release, and we are excited for you to try it out!

Jason

25. Surely Guest

Surely

Looks great! I was wondering when I would see something like this finally released for the iPhone.

Quick question: does the iPhone have to be strapped to your arm? Can it be on your waist or held in your hand?

It's apps like this that will push me to upgrade to the 3G.....