Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmp0404

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
PA
All,

So if Apple does announce a new iPhone, will I be able to get one? I only ask because I am a current ATT subscriber on their family plan. I went to ATT's web site the other day, because I wanted to upgrade one of my phones. I wanted to do this, because I am having problems with the phone. When I do this, I'm told that I am unable to upgrade now, but I could purchase a new phone at the non commitment price, which is of course ludicrous.

So the question is, will ATT allow me to upgrade one of my current phones to an iPhone? I'm guessing that if I can upgrade to a new iPhone, I would also be agreeing to yet another 2 year contract extension with them for all of the phones on my plan. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Upgrading to an iPhone overrides any restrictions AT&T put on upgrading your account. All you would do is re-commit for 2 years, and replace any existing data plan with the unlimited iPhone data plan on the line that is upgraded to iPhone. Everything else will stay the same, including minutes, texts and any shared lines.

ETA: I believe the re-commitment will be for all lines, not just the iPhone line. But if you're sharing minutes, and you're going to have to have a new 2-year contract to get an iPhone to use with AT&T, it's kind of a moot point.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I think you would be able to
upgrade to the new iPhone but I do think that you are correct in saying that it would probably lock you into another two year contract on all the phones. I'm not too sure about the second part though. You may want to give AT&T a call about it.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I think you would be able to
upgrade to the new iPhone but I do think that you are correct in saying that it would probably lock you into another two year contract on all the phones. I'm not too sure about the second part though. You may want to give AT&T a call about it.

Nope. As odd as it sounds, it only locks you in for 2 years on that one line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.