3G iPhone Australian launch - March 08?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mactoucher, Jan 9, 2008.

1. mactoucher macrumors newbie

Has anyone else heard word of a march 08 release of the iphone in australia?

There is talk that the 3g model will debut alongside the opening of the first Apple Retail Store in Australia (in Sydney). Steve Job's will be in attendence too, so the rumor goes. Also, Apple will be siding with Telstra as the local telco (which I find suprising seeing as Telstra publicly canned the iPhone near its US release. 'Apple should stick to it's knitting')

I have heard this a few times now and was wondering if its common rumor knowledge or just one of those things floating around out there in apple rumor land??

2. nlivo macrumors 6502a

I just read this a couple of hours ago but I read "February '08". I read it on an Australian iPhone hacking website but it didn't mention anything about Steve jobs. And telstra has been interested for awhile. It bagged the iPhone out back in January, not when it was released.

3. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

And that Apple Store in Sydney isn't rumoured to be open until Mid-2008.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Considering they're still building the building the Apple Store will be in I'd say it won't be till late 2008, around September.

March is way, way, way too soon. Apple still need to get a 3G phone through the FCC in the US let alone the ADR which takes an age too.

5. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Agreed. I don't think we'll see a 3G one for some time.

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Apple would never release a a 3G iphone in another country before the US.

7. mactoucher thread starter macrumors newbie

They do release products across the board though - countries are irrelevant - on the same date and time.

They may do the launch then bam - 3g everywhere?

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I reckon they would, there's a massive market in Japan etc where there is no 2G coverage at all. A 3G iPhone would be wasted in the US but would be great in the Asian region.

9. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Maybe in the future, but not likely with the iphone at this time. Apple only released it internationally in Q4, so they wouldn't release a new version so soon in those countries. And even just releasing a new version in the US would affect sales in other countries since people would know an updated version was coming. And it is just too soon for the 3G version anyway. There is a lot of life left in the current iphone model as it is only 6 months old. I'd listen to the analysts and look for 3G at the 1 yr anniversary in a worldwide launch.

10. thats nice macrumors member

Just import the iPhone? Why bother waiting when you can get it quite easily. And I think when the 3G version is released it will definitely be on the US market and most likely would be available to all other regions that have access to the current version.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Because at any stage Apple could push out another "hey let's brick these guys" software update and every man and his dog who bought a hacked phone will be left with a $500 paperweight.

Wait people, it'll be late this year and it'll be expensive. But it will sell like nothing else.

12. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I don't think they'll release a 3G one anytime soon and, as Chundles says, they would have to have it approved by the FCC. IIRC, this takes ages and is the reason the iPhone was shown six months before it was released, because as soon as a product is submitted it will inevitably make it into public view.

13. thats nice macrumors member

well you don't need to update firmware, you can stay at a safe hacked firm ware. Also before you get all excited I suggest you check the edge prices offered by optus and telstra, they are so over priced its hilarious. $30 a month on top of a plan cap and then paying for the phone...it's just pathetic. With prices like this it ruins a lot of the great iPhone features.

Unless the carriers change their data plans I don't see any reason to rush the iPhone, anyway Australia is a tiny market compared to china so I think they might see it before it gets to the land down under.