3G iPhone - Can't Access Visual Voicemail!?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bxb03a, Jul 13, 2008.

1. bxb03a macrumors newbie

I got the phone on Friday morning, and today found out from someone that my voicemail recording is no longer working. I thought well it must have been deleted when I upgraded, so I went to the voicemail button and NOTHING HAPPENS, the phone just kind of hangs up. WFT is going on? I've reset the phone and nothing has changed....

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

You have to reset up your voicemail from scratch.

In the phone, press and hold the 1 button and follow the prompts.

Why AT&T requires this is beyond me... :confused:

3. Mrbigglesworth macrumors newbie

That doesn't work for me. The 1 turns blue for a second and then goes back to normal. Any other ideas? :confused:

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Call your own number and set it up from there.

And for the record, on pretty much any phone if you hold 1 it dials your voicemail.

5. Mrbigglesworth macrumors newbie

Nope that's not it. It just says that's it's not set up and then disconnects. Any other ideas?

6. Mrbigglesworth macrumors newbie

Ok, I solved my problem. The symptoms were: Voicemail button unresponsive. Dialing 1 unresponsive. Dialing my own number just said "voicemail not setup. Goodbye" and then disconnected without allowing setup options.

I called 611 for ATT help, then followed the cues to reset my voicemail password. It sends you a text message with the new password. Voila, the voicemail button magically works now. Hope this saves someone else the frustration. :)

7. wardw macrumors newbie

It Worked!

I had the same frustration on new iPhone 3G. Could not hold 1 key to dial. Calling 611 --> prompt#3 --> reset password worked immediately. Thanks!

8. durant0s macrumors regular

durant0s

Exact same problem, thanks.

9. Auroradd macrumors newbie

Great tip! I had no idea that my voicemail disappeared after I upgraded, until someone told me. And of course the voicemail wasn't set up properly and customer care hung up on me... The 611 ---> #3 ----> password worked for me too!

10. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

Thanks so much for posting this! I had the same problem today. AT&T was clueless. I did the 611 thing, reset the password, & was able to get visual voice mail set up.

11. Tom J macrumors regular

In 8 years with Verizon I never had a need to call their customer service. Is switching to AT&T really going to be this bad?

12. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

I was with Cingular for 5 years from 1998 - 2003 & only switched to Sprint because of a 20% discount through work. After only a year, I switched back to Cingular because my husband needed a cell phone that worked in rural Alabama & Cingular was the only one with coverage there. I've been with them ever since. Other than a very rough time moving service from New Orleans to Little Rock after hurricane Katrina where they royally screwed up the bill for 3 months, I have never had a problem with them. I give them a pass on the voice mail issue since it is new to the iPhone 3G.

13. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Yes, the whole your whole voicemail box resets when you upgrade. I forgot to do it for a few days and was wondering why people were calling but not leaving messages. Although I have not had a problem with it:

When I clicked Voicemail on the phone, it started a call and I got the AT&T automatic recording thing, and I put in my password and all that jazz, then when I clicked it again after listening to the whole help thing it said I had the wrong password and that it couldn't access visual voicemail. But then it came up with the prompt to enter the new password and everything has been working since!! (This was just last night.)

14. sophialux macrumors newbie

If phone reset doesn't work for you...

I tried to reset using the automated phone system, but I got an error.

Instead, I logged onto my account online and then went to Device>Reset voicemail pin.

I got the text message and then was able to touch "voicemail" on the phone and set it up. I just got it working today.

15. temp123 macrumors newbie

i had this same problem after restoring the firmware on my 3g. the way i solved it was to call my own number and leave a voicemail. when the "new voicemail" indicator came up on my phone, it allowed me to check it no problem.

16. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I called AT&T about this today. I got my 3G iPhone today and VV wasn't working (would just dial the #). I set it up fine, and had 1 unheard message, but i still got no badge on the phone icon indicating a voice mail was waiting and touching the voicemail button would just dial the number for voicemail instead of bring up the list.

They said they are having issues with the server that is running VV -- it's an internet based connection and he said it should be resolved within 24 hours.

This was an actual tech, not a representative (i went through two of them before i got connected to the tech who seemed to know what he was talking about). The phone call took an hour.

Edit: Mine just started working randomly about 5 minutes ago. Guess the tech was right.

17. Teddybearneil macrumors newbie

I can't dial out!!

My problem is that I am not able to dial out! The moment i touch the keypad, it is taking me to the home screen!!

Anyone experienced this?

Neil

18. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

YES!

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well for the 2 months I had Verizon I called them more than 5 times a week, so I guess the answer to your question is: It varies.

20. macinlover macrumors newbie

21. davisj80 macrumors newbie

22. alecstory555 macrumors newbie

I had similar problem and it's now fixed

When someone left a voicemail, I could dial 1 and check it that way, but the new message icon didn't show up on phone.

I had installed a tethering application and apparently that was what was causing the problem.

I deleted the application (never used it as I couldn't get it to work) by going to Settings --> General --> Profile --> and deleting the only thing there which was identified as having to do with ATT. I deleted it and then my VV worked fine!

ATT customer support had no idea what the issue was but Tech support knew exactly.