3G Iphone Clarification, just talked to Apple and AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FSUSem1noles, Jun 11, 2008.

1. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I spoke with our School Districts Apple Rep and a CSR at AT&T.

I informed them I'm a current 2G Iphone subscriber, both said that if I purchase the IPhone from Apple, I take it home and activate it right through ITunes, it's done just as the 2G IPhone, also if you're already an AT&T customer, another credit check is NOT required, when you do the ITunes process it does a "Contract Wipe Extension" upgrading you to the new data plan prices, that's what the AT&T CSR said AT&T "unofficially" calls it..

Also, corporate discounts on AT&T plans are VALID with the 3G Iphone.. so I'll be getting 15% off my monthly bill which will help offset the increase in data and text charges..

So it looks like you won't be "obligated" to activate in-store.. maybe that only applies to NEW AT&T customers...

Also, our Apple Rep said that the 3g IPhone won't be immediately available via the Apple Online Store until the initial rush is over, figure a week or so?? then they will have stock for the Online Store..

Of course, this info can be completely wrong.. but I'm hoping not..

2. sfoalex macrumors 6502

Thank you!!

Now if I do have to go to the store, I guess I can hire someone to stand in line. I sure hope we can just order them online. I have no intention is waiting in some breadline for a phone.

Alex

3. bazookafx3 macrumors regular

Pssh... im camping out on day one, anyone else with me?
    Great info thought, will save me some time!

4. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

At least some light is shed on this controversial subject. Thanks for sharing the info.

5. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

Please, for the love of all that is holy in the world, let this be true. The idea of waiting in horrendous lines to purchase is one thing, extending that wait by having to have it activated in the store would make it damn near unbearable.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good info, and if anyone wants to "lease" me out for a 3G iPhone wait-in-line person, (and no, I don't have a pimp!), feel free to PM. This only applies for the San Francisco, California, USA, Stores. :p

7. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I just talked to an AT&T rep and he said this:

me: do you know when pricing information will be available?
    Thomas: It should be available in about 1 week when we get the final pricing set.

me: alright, and do you know what time on july 11th the iphone will go on sale?
    Thomas: As soon as the store opens they will go on sale, the online store would also follow suit.
    me: okay, so it won't be 6pm like last year, it'll be 10am or whatever time the stores open?
    Thomas: Yes, it should be available at when the store opens up.

Hopefully that clears up things for people too. The first part of the convo was in regards to corporate/student discounts.

8. FSUSem1noles thread starter macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I've known our Apple Rep for years, unless he is getting wrong info from up top, I believe it to be true...

The AT&T rep stated the same procedure, I asked him, "how do I go about activating it after purchase" he said, it's done just like the 2G IPhone, through ITunes and in ITunes is when it does the contract wipe extension.. and that's when he went on to say, "From looking at your account, I am happy to say you'll be able to get your plan discount with this 3G phone also, because you had lost it with the 2G phone"...

I'm already on contract with AT&T, so I can't say this info will apply to those who aren't on contract... if you're new to AT&T, you may have to sign up instore??

9. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i can partially confirm:

spoke to a very knowledgeable rep a few hours ago. either she is a great liar or the call center reps (at least business care) have been briefed on the new iphone.

she said discounted pricing was available (FAN discount) for the voice and data plan, but not for texting (still $5/mo for 200) family unlimited texting covers iphone now.

corporate users are not required to sign up for enterprise data ($45/mo) unless they are using corporate (exchange) mail.

i would end up paying $27/mo plus texting... still on the fence. i sold my old 8gb, but i might wait until the older phone depreciates and snag a 16.

10. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I hope you are right, because I could utilize both points: Corp. Discount and Existing Customer.

11. Bindi macrumors newbie

I am a former Cellular One customer, now an AT&T customer. I was up to renew my contract over a year ago, but have not done so yet. Am I considered a current AT&T customer, then? I now have AT&T service. TIA

12. FSUSem1noles thread starter macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Yes, you're still be considered an AT&T subscriber.. you're just free to leave if/when you want without paying an Early Termination Fee..

When you plug into ITunes and go through the process you'll just have to reup a new 2 year contract locking you to AT&T and the new data rates for 2 years, unless you pay an Early Termination Fee to get our early...

13. Bindi macrumors newbie

Thank you, so much, for your quick and kind response. I really appreciate it!

14. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

i've spoke to numerous att and apple reps and they all tell me weather you have a iphone or your going to sign up as a new customer, you will activate at home.

15. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

if this is true...... and i am very skeptical about it

then as soon as iphone 2.0 is hacked then one can just pick up the iphone 3g go home and jailbreak/activate it... pop the sim card in and continue enjoying unlimited data for $20/month

right?

16. GSV macrumors member

I've been wondering about the in-store activation scenario myself, thanks for doing some investigative work. I really hope its true, because there's no way Apple stores are staffed for that kind of work. They have a hard enough time selling people computers and iPod cases without having their salespeople spending 10 minutes activating each iPhone customer.

17. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

i am did it before and will do it again

Apple Fanboy 4 life

iLove:apple:

18. touchyphone macrumors regular

Its whether, not weather, weather is what is outside. Not being a d!ck, just wanted to let you know for future reference. I spell so bad and my grammar, correction are always welcome if you see mine!

19. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I'm sorry but no product is worth camping outside and looking stupid for.

20. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

21. FSUSem1noles thread starter macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

As I said, my Apple source from what I believe is "rock solid" regarding info... unless of course, he's getting fed wrong info... which I don't believe he is..

22. nintendude macrumors 6502

not revelant but the Wii is worth camping out for. i camped out and i am glad i did since i've never seen one on a shelf/in store since