3G iPhone Coming by years end?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mashinhead, Feb 6, 2008.

1. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i thought this was obvious and and something already known :cool:

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

3. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I don't think the plan to continue the roll out of 3G at AT&T has anyting to do with the iPhone. 3G roll out plans were made way before they even had the iPhone. Its good to hear if you plan on purchasing a broadband card for your laptop, but I think it has nothing to do with what is going on at Apple.

Just remember- No one at Apple has said anything about a 3G version of the phone and they have not said anyting about having the power issue (that has been discussed with the press) licked. So, don't hold your breath.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Because 4G is about 5-7 years from becoming marketable, stable, atainable, cheap enough, and fully deployed. 3G by the end of 2008? Doubtful. I would expect an announcement in January '09 for a June release, so all first gen iPhone users would finish their contracts and the jump to the new iPhone. I know there may be a 3G iPhone in Asia by the end of '08, but an official US launch will not occur until 2009.

TEG

5. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

What I don't understand is why people constantly whine about the lack of 3G. I have used 3G phones and they aren't super fast. I think people need to remember that unlike most other phones, the iPhone is a real browser and even with 3G the load times will likely be slower than what people expect because of the extra data. Not only that, I can almost guarantee that once 3G is in the iPhone, people will come here and complain that 3G isn't available where they live or that it drains the battery or some other complaint about it. I am just kind of sick of hearing people complain about it. How many posts on the same topic are really needed?

As far as when I see a 3G phone coming... I think Apple will wait til the end of the year or early next year. It wouldn't make sense for Apple to release one now, but I could see them announcing one this summer for release late 08 or early 09.

6. jeffmc macrumors 6502

cellular gigabit iphone FTW!

7. O3DigitalBath macrumors newbie

well with DSL speeds up to 24 Mbit/s now, i'd be more than willing to have a phone able to get those speeds...

but since DSL speeds can vary easily from 512 kbit/s up to 24 Mbit/s I would not use that to try and compare...

and LAN doesn't mean any speed at all? so why use that to compare the speeds that 4g will run at?

4G is rumored to run at around 100 Mbit/s we'll see what type of speeds people actually are getting.

Back on topic, adding all the 3g support will benifit a large amount of their customers, its not like everyone who has AT&T has an iPhone. All the people buying budget phones will be able to use the added coverage aswell.

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Jobs said something about this during the UK iPhone release ....

9. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

During the launch of the iPhone in the UK, Jobs said NOTHING about a 3G iPhone. He would have been crazy to do so. He was asked by the press once again why no 3G and he AGAIN explained the power issue with the 3G chipset.

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Is this guy :p not the international standard for "laden with sarcasm?"

I was totally poking fun at all the EDGE complaints, peeps. 3G will be more than enough for a friggin mobile device. Most people will probably use iPhones for finding information, not playing World of Warcraft or downloading all the episodes of Seinfeld. When testing one out, I visited mostly newspaper Web sites and Google.

I hope one thing the advent of mobile Internet devices will be to get certain Web sites to stop cluttering things up stuff that just eats bandwidth (I'm looking at you, ESPN).

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

So... which story are you going with?? ....