Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I have been searching these forums but I can't seem to find a simple FM transmitter and charger for my iPhone 3G. Is there anything that can charge the 3G while it is playing over FM at the same time, i.e. would be good for a road trip?

Bodah

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
I use this one.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13234
sku_13234_1_small.jpg

I don't use the hands free phone portion so I don't use the headphone jack wire. I just the transmitter and charger so I just connect the dock connector, and it works great.

JB.Powers

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2009
You may want to not keep that unit plugged in the entire time when you leave the car, turns out those dealextreme ones are allkits and those are fakes, that are not fully FCC approved and CE approved.

http://www.canadadrivesafe.ca/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=4

Thats the OEM version, yes its more, but more safer and much better build, I know cause i bought one and now i sell a few for these guys to friends and such...so just a heads up

Cheers bud :)

I use this one.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13234
sku_13234_1_small.jpg

I don't use the hands free phone portion so I don't use the headphone jack wire. I just the transmitter and charger so I just connect the dock connector, and it works great.

sourlemons98

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2008
Looks like the same one as CarFM which I bought earlier. I think these are sold under 100 different names, on eBay/Amazon/other-websites/mall-kiosks/etc.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
I did a lot of research on these and bought a itrip auto. Right after I got it, I sat in the parking lot and went up and down the dial a frequency at a time to find just one decent open station to use it with and had no luck. I'm quite aware of the shortcoming of these devices. For the last 3 years, I've used a Griffin Roadtrip (interesting because they are made by the same company) and just for comparison sake, right after I tried to get the itrip to work, I plugged my iPhone 3G into the Roadtrip, and the difference was like night and day. The Roadtrip actually overpowers strong radio stations in my area ... as a matter of fact, when I used to use it with my ipod, that's what I would do. I wouldn't search for an empty frequency, I would just find some really strong hispanic station, tune the roadtrip to it, and could listen static free. The itrip was a huge disappointment. I would say that it had about 20% of the power that the roadtrip did. The guy at Bestbuy (who I'm sure is far from an authority on the subject) said that the FCC has been clamping down on the output of these sorts of devices which really makes them pretty ineffective ... unless you have the perfect car stereo system where the itrip is close enough to the antenna, etc. I know that a lot of these devices can go into the "international mode" to find a clearer frequency, but honestly, I was so turned off by the lack of quality in the itrip that I just took it right back. My suggestion to you is to buy one from a place like Bestbuy and try it in your car first so that you can just easily return it if it doesn't work. (I would've be happy with just using my iphone with the roadtrip but it doesn't charge it at the same time.)

swanning-it

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
Gold Coast Australia
I'm a bit late on this thread, I know......but I have one of those "genuine" ones like Bodah added the photo of and I'm not impressed at all!

First, there is a continual hum transmitted as well as music (annoying)

Second, the hands free doesn't work and never has, unless I need to do something I haven't???? The music transmits OK, the radio volume decreases when the phone rings, but nothing from the call comes through the car speakers!

Thirdly, I get frustrated plugging and unlugging.....

Does anyone know of a cradle that the iPhone (3GS) justs sits in, like a docking station, that charges, wirelessly transmits Ipod music to the car stereo and also works as hands free through the car stereo???

I'd buy it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.