Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
What a bad article.

"It should answer the disappointment with the US version of the iPhone which has been widely slammed for its poor performance as a phone."

- really?

"It may even be possible that European data prices will match, or be an improvement on the eye-watering charges announced by AT&T in North America."

- really? do you mean pretty much the same data plans AT&T offers for all their other phones?

While I would welcome a 3G phone in Europe on a multitude of operators, I cant see Apple announcing it on Monday. That would be a kick in the ass for those who just bought an iPhone in the States and huge PR blunder as nobody would be going to buy a States iPhone on EDGE from that point on.

If they announced that they had done a deal with the operators, thats fine. But I really cant see Apple announcing a 3G version as well.

Comment

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
It's a complete work of fiction. For onething no-one in that hack-rag The Evening Standard would get the inside line on anything. Plus it mentions that Steve predicted a year end for iPhone release in October, curious when you consider that the Phone was announced in January of this year - although obviously it feels like a good deal longer than that.

I expect that carriers and Apple will want to wait until after the US release to see who holds the upper hand, unless of course one of the Big 4 (in the UK at any rate) suddenly thought to get the drop on the rest by agreeing to Apple's demands just to secure the bloody thing.

I agree with the above poster. Announcing a more fully featured phone just 3 days after the US release would be marketing suicide and I just can't see them doing that.

Comment

Fatgadget

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Hi

I have just spoken to the press offices of Vodafone, Carphonewarehouse, and T-Mobile, and guess what, all three of them remained tight lipped with the standard 'No Comment' response.

Whether we get a 3G or a 2G iPhone here in the UK, I am not really bothered, the fact that we may finally know which carrier is getting it is enough for me.

:)

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Please people. This story is about as real as Madonna's British accent. :rolleyes:

Comment
No Seriously...

Where did they got Bad review for a product that is not out yet?
All the early tests i read where quite positive.

Now, that vodafone and 3G are going to be choosen make sense but i don't see that happening anytime soon. let alone on monday.

Cheer up US friends you gonna have your toys for yourself longer than that

bozigle sad european without iPhone (but i'll get my N95 next week)

Comment

Fatgadget

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
No Seriously...

Where did they got Bad review for a product that is not out yet?
All the early tests i read where quite positive.

Now, that vodafone and 3G are going to be choosen make sense but i don't see that happening anytime soon. let alone on monday.

Cheer up US friends you gonna have your toys for yourself longer than that

bozigle sad european without iPhone (but i'll get my N95 next week)

I was hoping another carrier than Vodafone would get the iPhone here in the UK as they are not the best, but i guess we will just have to wait and see.

Comment

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wow.

The nonsense is flying all over the place today.

Amazing.

I love how the iPhone has a history of poor performance before it is even released.

Comment

fraserdrew

macrumors member
May 23, 2006
It Makes Sense

This could be wishful thinking... but this makes sense. The UK Mobile phone networks are uch more developed (as i understand) and there is 3G coverage in most areas, even some more remote areas have good coverage. It therefore, to me, makes sense that the UK would get a 3G iPhone before the USA.
This is totally understandable as the UK is a much smaller, more densely populated country, making coverage much easier.
It is therefore totally reasonable the Apple will do a deal with Vodafone, or T-Mobile very soon.
I do however, doubt it will be monday, as that will be very bad PR for apple in the US

Comment

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Hope that is true, even if its not 3G, ITS COMING IN THE UK ON MONDAY! That would be very good but I just dont see that happening, unless that rumor about the iPhone having 3G hardware and needing a firmware update is true, then it might work in the US as well, and would be more believable. :apple:

Comment

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
This could be wishful thinking... but this makes sense. The UK Mobile phone networks are uch more developed (as i understand) and there is 3G coverage in most areas, even some more remote areas have good coverage. It therefore, to me, makes sense that the UK would get a 3G iPhone before the USA.
This is totally understandable as the UK is a much smaller, more densely populated country, making coverage much easier.
It is therefore totally reasonable the Apple will do a deal with Vodafone, or T-Mobile very soon.
I do however, doubt it will be monday, as that will be very bad PR for apple in the US

i tend to agree completely..
i have a 3G phone using the 3G coverage, and have used 3G in other european countries (france, spain etc..).

I'm very rarely not able to pick up a 3G signal either..

the only thing about 3G is it does drain the battery of my nokia right down to the point i have to charge it every night!

Apple announced the iPhone in Jan and made US customers wait 6 months before it came to market.. so why wouldn't they announce it in europe and make us wait 5-6 months, which would tie in with their Q4 release to market.

Comment
It must be nice...

It must be nice that there are absolutely no regulatory bodies in Europe that control radio-emitting devices.

I mean if Apple were to have to submit the 3G iPhone to a regulatory body, then there would have been no way they could have kept next Monday's launch a secret. :eek:

Yep, in Europe you can just bring any ol' piece of equipment to the market and not have to worry about putting that pesky little label that shows the device has been tested and found to comply with emission laws. Not to mention getting approval just where you are going to put the label. :eek:

I hope Europe enjoys the 3G iPhone, as I have no doubts that it will be there on Monday.

Comment

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Nobody is denying that the European launch will have 3G. It seems somewhat obvious.

I just cant believe Apple would announce it will have on Monday. They will perhaps announce a deal with Vodafone etc, but NOT a 3G iPhone right now (that announcement will come later).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

(yes the PowerPC > Intel transition went against this)

Comment

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
i really hope the iPhone is out in UK

but i have only just signed a new 12 month contract with a Nokia E61 with 3.

its got Slingbox and TomTom sat nav which is cool, and iPhone wont have.

I want the UK iPhone to be 3g with front facing camera and iChat AV

Comment

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
i really hope the iPhone is out in UK

but i have only just signed a new 12 month contract with a Nokia E61 with 3.

its got Slingbox and TomTom sat nav which is cool, and iPhone wont have.

I want the UK iPhone to be 3g with front facing camera and iChat AV

By the time your contract runs out the iPhone may indeed feature those additions which means you will sit out the 1st gen and should be able to jump straight on the 2nd gen model while having a very good, albiet very wide and ugly phone, in the mean time. I will probably do the same but with a SE P1 come October, unless of course the iPhone is released by then with those features and with a reasonable pricing scheme i.e <£35.

Comment

Fatgadget

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Hi Guys

After a bit of further investigation, one UK online mobile retailer has posted details of the iPhone with a Vodafone contract, and they have now changed their website and taken this information off.

Were they told to do this by Vodafone & Apple, or maybe they just put this information up without any confirmation, who knows, here is a link to their website as it is now with the information removed phones2udirect

Before they changed their website I did manage to get a couple of screenshots which i have uploaded to my Flickr account, you can see them here if anyone is interested.

Comment

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Well if they are the details of the contracts, no mention of data, they are very expensive and with Vodaphone which have a very inferior network.

Comment

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Hi Guys

After a bit of further investigation, one UK online mobile retailer has posted details of the iPhone with a Vodafone contract, and they have now changed their website and taken this information off.

Were they told to do this by Vodafone & Apple, or maybe they just put this information up without any confirmation, who knows, here is a link to their website as it is now with the information removed phones2udirect

Before they changed their website I did manage to get a couple of screenshots which i have uploaded to my Flickr account, you can see them here if anyone is interested.

Wow, that must mean the UK is closer to getting the iPhone than we thought! I really didn't expect it to happen until December or January.

Comment

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
3G iPhone for UK Customers?

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

NewsWireless.net (via Gadgettastic) is reporting that Apple has partnered with Vodafone, T-Mobile of Germany and Carphone Warehouse and is expected to announce the UK iPhone on Monday.

The most unusual part of the rumor is the expectation that the European iPhone will take advantage of Vodaphone's 3G data networks.
Vodafone is currently in an ideal position to take on the iPhone, because its 3G network is hugely under-utilised. Pricing on mobile data is normally prohibitive, but Vodafone has recently revised its 3G data charges down, following "rip-off" complaints from users.
Steve Jobs was recently quoted explaining that the reason that the US iPhone didn't take advantage of 3G networks was due to size and battery considerations.

The European version of the iPhone is not expected until towards the end of the year.

Comment

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
We can but hope. I just signed a new 18 month contract with Vodafone. If there's a 3G iPhone at a reasonable price on a good tariff at the end of it they might just rope me in.

Although Vodafone have recently revamped their data tariff is is still a huge rip-off. £7.50 for 130MB of usage. Morons.

I am seeing a decent level of 3G coverage on my SE W880i though, which is positive.

Comment

TheChillPill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
Manchester, UK
I think it's a given that when the iPhone does hit Europe, it will be 3G - the coverage is virtually 100% throughout Europe as it is.

Vodafone would also be a logical choice given their European coverage and fondness of 'mobile internet'.

In many ways, an announcement on Monday would make a lot of sense - the US launch today is getting significant coverage as it is (in the UK at least), so it would be an ideal way of peaking interest for europeans that don't follow Apple news as much as we all do.

That said, I'm not convinced the article is credible. Especially with the Carphone warehouse bit - can't see any logical reason for them to be involved if both Apple and Vodafone are going to sell it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.