3G iPhone GPS is not real, its called ASSISTED GPS...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kuckiemonsta, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuckiemonsta macrumors newbie

Call up your AT&T rep or an Apple Agent, because I found out that the GPS for the 3G iPhone is not real GPS, but still a triangulated signal that moves with you and is wrong. So I don't think its really all that besides the 3G, but with the $30 data plan, that killed it...sorry amigos, but just want to help...:confused::eek::mad:

2. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

You are 100% wrong.

Please know what you are talking about before making posts.
    aGPS IS real GPS, but better.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Have you done any other 'research' into aGPS? Searched the forum perhaps?

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

5. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

I doubt that its AGPS man... the patent information has a GPS chip in it.... THough AGPS is the use of both a gps chipset AND triangulation... correct me if i am wrong please.

6. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

aGPS is two things.

1) it first uses the cellular towers to triangular your signal (hence the A is assisted).

2) it does have directed feed to satelite as it said on the apple website. The icon turns blue.

So if you're outside, it will use full gps. If you're in a indoor building with hotspot and the gps signal is not found, it will use alternatives.

7. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

That that makes perfect sense and would in all actuality work BETTER than the Curve, Tilt, and BJ2.

8. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

I thought he Curve and Tilt use aGPS too?

9. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

It's amazing how many people neglect to do a simple web search to find information (and actually READ said information) and instead opt to make wild conclusions...

10. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

This guy registered on MacRumors and the only two posts he has made are this completely false BS stuff about GPS.

11. D4F Guest

D4F

Well... To a regular macrumors user this shouldn't be any surprise. Those 'brilliant minds' keep poping out lately like mushrooms after rain.

12. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

GPS takes a while to pinpoint your location because it needs to find out what satellites it's looking for. On older GPS systems, you actually had to type in your city, state to speed up the satellite acquisition phase. With A-GPS, the iPhone does what it has since 1.1.4 which is get a very good approximation of your location. It feeds that information to the GPS system and zeros in on your actual location faster. A-GPS is really only relevant at GPS start up. With the iPhone, Apple claims,

Therefore, A-GPS is important in narrowing down the location each time the GPS is automatically turned off and back on.

13. Jaschr macrumors member

I'll feel safe knowing my government always knows where I am. And now they don't have to break into my house to plant a bug on me. I'd hate for them to have a hard time looking for me to get me my lost rebate check. :D

Sorry to change the subject. But I think this is a good feature. It makes me wonder what we will have in cell phones in another five years.

14. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

A mod needs to lock this since it's WRONG INFORMATION!

15. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

aGPS is more advanced. The misinformation available on the net is frightening!

16. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Perhaps the OP will realize that they have no idea what they are talking about and edit their thread.

Otherwise, I hope people can read to the second reply, "You are 100% wrong."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.