3G iPhone = HSDPA? [Confirmed/Hint(ed) by AT&T?]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frosse, May 19, 2008.

?

3G iPhone = HSDPA?

Poll closed Jun 8, 2008.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. frosse macrumors 6502a

Will the new (supposed) 3G iPhone feature HSDPA? I mean, "regular" 3G sucks compared to HSDPA. :p

Why HSDPA:

- HSDPA 3G chip found in iPhone (?)

- HSDPA makes more sense in Europe

- HSDPA better than regular 3G

- HSDPA not that much more expensive for Apple

- HSDPA battery life = regular 3G bat life (?)

- Any non-american-soon-to-be-iphone-owner would hate Apple for the rest of their lives if no HSDPA?

- HSDPA + ITMS + TV shows = makes sense

- ...?

Why NOT HSDPA?

- Well, why no HSDPA?! :S

Whats your take on this?

And btw, dont u go "Well regular 3G is better than EDGE blablabla", we all want HSDPA!!

Update: Has AT&T confirmed iPhone 3G HSDPA usage?
    Apple Insider quotes AT&T saying:
    And

Is this a hint/confirmation of HSDPA in iPhone?

Check it out!

2. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

The most important factor for this decision in the US will be what AT&T, the exclusive US carrier for the iphone for at least 2 more years, runs. According to wikipedia, "AT&T is operating a 3G/HSDPA network, called BroadbandConnect, currently in most metropolitan markets. It provides average download speeds of around 1.5 megabits per second (Mbit/s), with bursts up to 3.6 megabits per second (Mbit/s)." Link.

So it looks to me like you will get your wish.

3. DreamPod macrumors 65816

It's gonna use what AT&T uses. AT&T uses HSDPA/UMTS.

4. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well a HSDPA (i)phone does support regular UMTS, doesnt it? In that way everyone should get their wish :rolleyes:

5. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Most hardware that is likely to be put into the iPhone (Broadcomm etc) is HSDPA these days.

On this basis I'd say it's almost certain to be HSDPA equipped.

6. Project macrumors 68020

If it isn't Apple would have made a terrible mistake

7. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but then I've heard a lot of rumors on european forums that HSDPA wont be included...though no real facts why...

HSDPA is like 7 mbit downstream, nice :)

How likely is HSPA+? What I've been hearing is that its on the rise and out on the market by 2009... Will we see HSPA+ in iPhone 3?

8. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

How's AT&Ts HSDPA coverage in major cities? When I check their coverage map I only see what they refer to as "3G", which necessarily doesnt include HSDPA...

9. Project macrumors 68020

To be honest I would be amazed if it wasn't included. We are fairly sure that the chipset supports it, so for Apple to effectively disable it in software would be dumb beyond belief.

10. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but wasnt there like two different 3G chips, one named S-GOLD3 (without HSDPA) and a S-GOLD3H (with HSDPA), has it been confirmed that the latter is being used in the new iphone?

Would be a real bummer if they didnt use the latest technology, I'll take HSDPA over more battery, for sure.

11. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

not related to the iPhone, but I love my Vodafone 3G+ stick. I get 7.2MBit connections and I can download at just under 1Mb/s.

HSDPA rules and yeah I hope the new iPhone has it

pac

12. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well its not long until we find out :)

I live in Sweden btw, so we'll prolly not even get the iphone until late fall I guess. We're not even on the list of future countries to get the iphone...yet...:(

Though I believe in :apple:

:)

13. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Not including HSDAP would be suicidal in Europe. I can't see Apple being that stupid after the whole non-3G debacle.

14. pavvento macrumors 6502

I wouldn't call it a debacle. They made a decision and people accepted it judging by the sales. A mistake? certainly, but from a business perspective it allowed them to come out w/ version 2.0 only one year later, making more money, so I would say it was a well calculated risk.

15. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Not in Europe they didn't.

A remarkably positive way of putting things.

Apple horribly misjudged the market in Europe on a number of points. One hopes they don't make the same schoolboy errors again.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

From a business / engineering point of view, it would depend on how much speed the device can handle. Especially if tethering isn't allowed.

If a device can't do anything extra with the greater speed, why pay for the extra ability in parts?

Note: I'm not stating either way. I'm simply commenting on how decisions are often made.

17. El Magnificante macrumors member

18. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

I hope they don't mess this up again. :mad:

19. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

AT&T calls it "3G" because otherwise it's too confusing. IIRC, they used UMTS as a bridge where necessary, HSDPA is their official standard. Considering they have phones that do over-the-air video and music downloads, plus their laptop access was rated fastest in a recent article, it is damn speedy and therefore HSDPA.

Even if 100% of the 3G network isn't HSDPA, that is their stated goal...and they aren't going to want to roll out iPhone 2.5 just to upgrade slightly.

20. pavvento macrumors 6502

I agree, the inability to tether is unfortunate, especially since you can't transfer files to the phone. Many times I've needed to email a document on my laptop and had to take out my sim card and pop it in another phone I keep just for tethering purposes.

If I could transfer that file to the iPhone via bluetooth or cable, and then use the phone's mail program it might not be as bad.

21. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

The premise of this post doesn't make sense.
    AT&T's 3G network is HSDPA. On their coverage map where you see "3G," it means HSDPA. iPhone will be on HSDPA.

22. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice.

23. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice. I'm neither a US citizen nor an AT&T costumer so I dont know.