3G iPhone Image Display Quality Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marcbkk, Jun 29, 2008.

1. marcbkk macrumors member

One of my main purposes for purchasing the new 3G iPhone will be for the travelling picture portfolio aspect of it. On the first model the issue was that you couldn’t upload any pictures in a resolution higher than 320 x 480 resolution with a DPI of 163. This hinders and limits the overall picture viewing quality. And any pictures uploaded at a higher resolution on the original iPhone are automatically downsized by iTunes to the above resolution as well. So there was and possibly still is no way around it.

My question is if on the new 3G version if there will be any greater flexibility to save pictures at higher resolutions for purposes for zooming in on pictures? Also, is the overall picture display quality improved at all?

2. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

nope, resolution will be the same. guess you're outta luck again.

3. DreamPod macrumors 65816

I'm not understanding something - first you say you couldn't upload any higher-res picture at all, but then you say when you did it got downconverted? I'm not sure what you're getting at, I'm pretty sure you can put any resolution pic on the device you want, and if you do a higher-resolution pic, you can view it at original resolution if you just keep zooming in.

But one thing I do know, is the iPhone 3g screen is virtually identical to the original iPhone screen. One of the hands-ons, the article author compared against his old iPhone, and the only difference was the iPhone 3G screen was a little brighter (which he speculated could have been because his was a year old).

4. cjmal macrumors 6502

He said that any photo he tried to upload that was of higher resolution than 320x480 would be scaled down to fit the screen. This is true, no matter for what photo. The iPhone and iPod touch will only zoom in so much and doesn't let you view the photo at it's original resolution, only at the resolution it was scaled down to.

5. The General macrumors 601

Host them on the internet and view them from the web. Safari can view images of way higher resolution and you can zoom in on them and what not.

I wish iTunes wouldn't scale the images. :mad:

6. marcbkk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for your good answers. It seems there are a number of work arounds including saving files as PDF and etc in order to view higher resolutions, but the idea was to use the nice picture viewer that Apple has developed for the iPhone to be able to hand my phone to a client and have them simply thumb through the pictures and then double click to zoom in on any of them they want to see more detail on. It seems like this function is not going to be improve on the 3G model I am afraid unless theer is an unknown change to the picture viewer in the new 2.0 firmware version???

I had read somewhere though, I think the posting was talking about on the video iPod, that you can specify a resolution on pictures. But as I said, this was for one of the other Apple multimedia devices and not for the iPhone. Bummer.

7. evren macrumors newbie

On my friends new Android phone, I was able to view his photo albums in full original resolution when I zoomed into them. Is this still not the case on the iPhones??? I still own a 3G one now with the latest iOS 4.0.1. Can I do the same with any special application or setting on iTunes??

Thanks