3G iPhone in September in the UK???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billandy, Mar 18, 2008.

1. billandy macrumors regular

I tried to ask for the availability of 3g iPhone with the O2 Customer Services today and they told me to wait until August "for more information"! So I assume it should be out there late this year in the UK! Damn! That's still a whole summer to go!

2. NurseChris macrumors member

Customer services people at o2 will have no idea when the 3g iphone is coming out, I'd have guessed that everyone will know by August anyway.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

o2 employees in customer services will know nothing

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It will almost certainly come out in the UK at exactly the same time as the US if not earlier as we have a far better 3G network.

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

There's no way Apple would launch something like that outside of their market first.

Same time, possibly, but certainly not before the US.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

You guys are way harsh. Having set up a thread specifically for finding out when a 3G iPhone is coming out, this might have something to it.

Before you naysay - remember that O2 customer services knew of the O2 announcement that they'd been picked by Apple a month or so in advance.

Have a think too - FCC announcement June 9thish at WWDC could easily fit with an August launch.

I personally can vouch for this, as when I questioned a rep on the customer retention/information side, they were able to give a rough date as for an upcoming announcement they had. Nothing more, but this was when the rumours were O2 had it, but no-one could confirm.

Peeps should think a little outside the True or False mentality - e.g.
    If it was true:
    What could validate this?
    Why September in the UK as it seems it's June for the US?
    Will the UK be put behind a US launch?
    Why make us wait?
    How is the WWDC going to be played - Europe's main bugbear is lack of 3G on the current iPhone...

7. ANGELUS79 macrumors newbie

Hi all, I've been searching the internet for Iphone rumours and came across this thread and just had to reply.

I currently work for o2 and like most, we have mainly been in the dark regarding the 3g Iphone release dates, aesthetics specs etc.. but some of this changed yesterday.

Until now I have been reading blogs and tech websites and my guess is the 3g Iphone will be announced on Jun 9th. I also believe this will be approx the U.S. Release date according to this leaked AT&T memo:

http://stuff.tv/News/3G-iPhone-to-land-next-month/9986/

Anyway, to my point; We at o2 have had a similar memo and posters have been put up saying: "Keep 08.08.08 free"

Now I'm not one to speculate without cold hard facts but c'mon that's a pretty good hint. Wouldn't you agree?

8. ripkord macrumors 6502

yeah, theres no way it will be out here in june, anyone who thinks that is dreaming. were always last to get stuff - even though we came up with the bloody telephone thing in the first place!! :)

9. sowlerrmgh macrumors member

I think that the iphone will be out at the same time as the US because it is impossible to but an iphone in the UK, they are sold out everywhere. Think of all the lost revenue for Apple and o2 when people choose a phone on a different network because they cannot get an iphone.

10. philgilder macrumors 68000

there have been shipments arriving in the uk reported to be iphone 2
    also all iphones are no longer available
    probably see 3g iphone at the same time/days after us

thats very wrong for mobile phones!!!

youre lucky you dont work for apple :) youd be fired for even looking on this website!!

11. onescoop macrumors member

the O2 store in hammersmith, has just shut for a refurb. It is due to re-open 27th June.

It is a normal store that is relatively new looking and looks the same in style to all other o2 stores. Looking through the windows earlier it has a LOT of iPhone banners in it - visible enough that you can see them as you would be walking into the store (something I'd never noticed with this store before).

It seems strange that the store would shut right in the middle of the timeframe for the 2nd gen iPhone to be released and open again exactly 2 weeks after the WWDC keynote.

Obviously this could be reading far too much into a series of coincidences.

12. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Not really one to speculate normally but I can't imagine the UK stores running out of iPhones May/June if the iP2 isn't due here until August/September. Not unless Apple have shares in British Airways anyway.

13. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Awaiting iPhone 2 with interest - I need 3G/HSDPA for it to be a useful replacement for my iPod Touch and HTC:)

Like you, I'd be surprised at such a time lag between iPhone being out of stock at Apple and 02 stores and an UK August launch - that's just not Good Business:) However, I guess Apple can afford it if they really want to.

14. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Edge in London has been about as flaky as .Mac in the last day or so. O2 is obviously working on their data networks in anticipation of the release of the iPhone next week. No way is there going to be any delay. US and UK releases will be on the same day. Guaranteed.

Just like everywhere else, there are almost no iPhones available here. You'd be crazy to think that they are going to have nothing to sell all summer here.

15. sananda macrumors 68020

it is a HUGE time lag from o2 and cpw running out of phones some weeks ago until 8 august. perhaps apple can afford it, but it's not just apple in this. o2 are turning away anyone coming in requesting a lucrative 18 month iphone contract.

16. Project macrumors 68020

I just can't see an August or September release date. Way too far in the future. Especially given that it is next to impossible to pick up an 8GB iPhone in the UK

17. sjw macrumors regular

My thoughts exactly.

18. ripkord macrumors 6502