3G iphone..is the reception better, does it work better as a phone?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fourthtunz, Aug 9, 2008.

1. fourthtunz macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

I have the original iphone, I don't think the reception is good as other phones but I live in the boonies, that said does the 3G seem better or worse?
    Thanx:D

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

well, it depends on the 3G network at your house and how strong it is. There's no way for us to know.

As for calling, yes, voice quality is better on the 3G network than it is on EDGE

3. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

If you live in the boonies I would "guess" 3G would not be available in your area. I live in a pretty good area where 1/2 mile from my house I get strong 3G but at my house it is pretty weak. If 3G is weak then I think a full strength EDGE is better. I suggest you check the ATT Coverage Map for your area.

4. fourthtunz thread starter macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

Right I checked the map 3g is available in certain areas so I'm wondering about edge.
    but as you know, sometimes even 4 towers doesn't mean the phone call will sound good.:eek:
    I should have asked since the orignal phone doesn't have 3g
    Are your regular edge calls better on the 3g phone than what you had in your area on your old iphone?

5. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Around here the 3G is lackluster for calls; there seems to be signal, but my calls are usually very static filled and annoying. It seems to get better when I turn off 3G..

6. fourthtunz thread starter macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

So did you have the first iphone? Does edge come in better?
    I had heard when the 3g phone came out that the antennae was better.
    I want the new iphone but if the reception is no better I'll just wait for the 32 gig or whatever they come with next year.