Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

preguntonontrac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Ok, lets suppose a new 3g Iphone is comming in june (just suppose).

Currently people are selling for a lot more the current iphones in ebay. Lets suppose in june they announce a new 3g iphone. Based on experience and logic, what you will think will these ebay sellers do? for example they will drop their price by half in the announcement even before they ship or prices will be dropped after the new iphones available date or any other thing you wanna post about this no necessary about prices. Any way out even if they lie or try to trick buyers you my think (leave scammers without phones out).

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
I thought eBay had largely turned out to be a non-event as far as iPhone sales at launch went? Suspect this will be the same.

chrisparr

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
Ok, lets suppose a new 3g Iphone is comming in june (just suppose).

Currently people are selling for a lot more the current iphones in ebay. Lets suppose in june they announce a new 3g iphone. Based on experience and logic, what you will think will these ebay sellers do? for example they will drop their price by half in the announcement even before they ship or prices will be dropped after the new iphones available date or any other thing you wanna post about this no necessary about prices. Any way out even if they lie or try to trick buyers you my think (leave scammers without phones out).

Some wont do anything, some may drop their prices slightly, others will just claim their current stock is 3G stock and then Firewall when people complain (if they realise).

I'm sure people have bought phones from ebay without a problem, but I would never buy a mobile from there. You just have to look at the auctions; most have IDs set to private (or whatever the Ebay term is) - what have they got to hide?, and you see tonns of sellers that have very low ratings, or are newbies. If they do have a rating, when digging deeper you will find that it is built up by two users buying and selling to each other (usually the same user).

As I say, I'm sure there are some good genuine mobile sellers on EBay, but I can't be bothered will the hassle of searching for them amongst all the shady ones.

Before I get flamed by any sellers on here, it's just my opinion and I'm not interested in arguing about it.

C

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
I sell unlocked iPhones on ebay, and ship them worldwide.

The profit isn't that great as it seems, but the demand is EXTREMELY high.

For example.

16GB iPhone: $540 (tax)
ebay fees: $20 ish
paypal fees: $20 ish

That's about $580 it costs me, and i sell the iPhones from $590 - $640 on average.

The ebay turn out when the first iphone was released was extremely successful, as people would buy iphones for $1500.

iPhone 2 will be the same.
But if its just the current iPhone with 3g, then it still will be in high demand, but not much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.