3G Iphone makes MBA obsolete?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Emrtr4, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Emrtr4 macrumors regular

A friend and I were discussing this the other day, we both agreed that Apple has done something it rarely does, create two products that both accomplish pretty much the same thing.

The Macbook air was created primarily as a machine for email, web surfing, and document writing; however the Iphone already does two of these tasks well-very well and is much smaller than the Macbook Air. Additionally, with SDK what is stopping people from carrying whole presentations on their iphones and connecting them (perhaps wirelessly) to projectors at presentations.

As someone who was considering buying a MBA, I subsequently decided that the Iphone accomplishes most of what I need when I want to be mobile; in contrast if I go on a trip of significant length I would want the power and tools (disk drive, dedicated graphics, decent processor, etc..) provided by either a Macbook or a Macbook Pro.

Any thoughts on the Iphone cutting into the usefulness of the MBA and ultra-portable computers in general?

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Well the MB doesn't have dedicated graphics.. it's on-board like the MBA...

3. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Ridiculous thread.

Go on a one week business trip and try responding to 10 emails with a response longer than a paragraph (just as an example) and writing 10 pages on Word.

MBA, ftw.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agreed as the iPhone/Touch is today.

However, if someone were to develop an external keyboard that can be used like for the Palm OS and Pocket PC/Windows Mobile devices, that might change things a bit.

Attached Files:

5. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

dont know why i get the feeling this is going to happen very soon - apple launching a dockable kb for iphone, that would RULE

6. btaussie macrumors member

btaussie

I would really like an Apple keyboard that would hook up with an iPhone and allow for keyboard usuage. Interesting times...

7. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

I dunno, that's so un-Apple-esque to launch some tatty extra keyboard dock thing. Even if they applied their style and finish to it, I'm really not convinced there's a large enough market out there willing to pay close to the price of a macbook (including contract), plus, then it really would be cutting into MBA sales, with the added bonus of 3g mobile communication which is not built in on any Apple laptop.

8. DrCoffee macrumors newbie

but Apple does not need to create another accessory, if only iPhone would support bluetooth input devices like... say... apple wireless keyboard?

I currently carry a Nokia N800 and use an apple bt keyboard to do extended typing, it works well and saves me from carrying my MB most places (I do research in tropical rural areas... don't really want to carry my laptop around if I can avoid it).

If it were possible to use a bt keyboard on an iPhone, I would switch in a minute (or at least when I get back to the states since there are no apple stores for a few thousand miles from here).

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

laptop ≠ phone.

They are like not the same thing.

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The resolution of the iPhone is far too low to even attempt to use it as a laptop replacement. It is, IMO, the best hand-sized device available for browsing and e-mail by a large margin but it's still a way off being able to replace a notebook computer.
    I'd question your assertion that it was created primarily as a machine for email, web surfing, and document writing - my view is that it is a machine for people who want a full computing experience without the weight or bulk of a standard notebook: This is why it's got a full sized screen and keyboard.
    I run VMWare Fusion, Photoshop CS3, Office 2008, Aperture and Zend Studio on mine regularly, and unless a hand held device comes along that can do all that with a similar screen resolution, nothing even comes close to replacing it :)

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

It really is stupid that they don't support the wireless keyboard on iPhone. It's not as if this would be hard to accomplish.

12. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If you just need an iPhone for mobile Internet (beyond the phone) and don't need flash (who really does?) or Internet apps that don't run in a browser, then yeah.

Otherwise, the display, keyboard and open platform of the MBA make it a totally different beast. For school, the MBA is fantastic in lectures and an iPhone just wouldn't cut it, docking keyboard or not.

13. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

What would be really interesting is if they added 3G capability to the MBA....

14. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I agree. Unfortunately I need a MBA now, so I'm taking the plunge. I'll have to use my dongle.

I believe the iPhone will be a very useful mobile Internet device as it evolves. It'd be hopeless for what I'm buying the Air for, though... I think they fulfil different needs.

15. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

I completely agree. I really don't see it happening either. Pain in the ass to see what you're typing to the screen when using a full keyboard anyway.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I doubt Apple would be the one to launch a keyboard to use with the iPhone/Touch. More than likely, it would be some third party who does it.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For me, my iPhone is a nice compliment to my MBP, but it is not a replacement for it. Don't think it would be a replacement for a MBA either.

18. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

if all you do is surfing the web on a tiny screen and checking email than you wasted money on the MBA. if you have to prepare powerpoint slides on the fly, show pics to clients, take notes on conferences, create a quote for customers, read puplications on pdf's then i guess you need more than an iphone. and lugging a mbp vs. a mba all day on a conference with talks in 35 different rooms and an exhibition hall...well...i wish i had an mba....

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree that the iPhone is not a replacement.

However, in some cases when folks travel, all they need is browsing, e-mail, and being able to type in text.

So for a trip of this type, it becomes a decision of whether you take your MB/MBA/MBP or a small lightweight keyboard.

20. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Its the version of bluetooth the doesn't support it. Just like the iPhone's BT won't stream music over BT.

21. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Heh I remember those things, they were all the rage in highschool for notes.

22. hondje macrumors member

Agreed. My iPhone certainly does not replace my MBP. Emails longer than a paragraph (which I sometimes do) are truly a pain on any device so small. For real work with Mail, I need my MBP. For my Keynotes too, I need my MBP.

I definitely think there is a market for the MBA. The lightness of it is definitely appealing. However, at least for me, when Apple or another 3rd party releases a BT keyboard, that will definitely be my device of choice for taking notes when I go to Grad. School this fall. I don't want to carry my MBP. I wouldn't even want to carry a MBA.

At least for me, when 3G is out, and a BT keyboard, the chances of me getting a MBA are very very slim. But nevertheless, the MBA is a sweet computer. Way to go Apple!

23. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Actually, last time I looked you could do much more on a an MBA than an iPhone. Full speed internet, computer networking, Final Cut and iMovie - don't see anyone being able to do that on an iPhone any time soon.

Nice idea, but ridiculous! ;)

24. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For me, the deciding factor would be the screen size. I would find the iPhone screen to small to take notes on it in class on a regular basis. But if it works for you thats great.