3G iPhone & Non-contract O2 customers (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrjarvie, May 21, 2008.

1. mrjarvie macrumors member

I am looking into buying an iphone. I hear there is a new 3G version of the iPhone due for release in next month (June). I have read about many of the benefits of the 3G iphone.
    My question is this:

If I were to buy a 3G iphone I would most likely unlock it and use my existing 'pay as you talk' sim card. If I were to do this, would I still benefit from the new 3G technologies? Or is 3G only available to O2 contract customers?

2. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

as far as i know 3g is available to all, just like edge

though you will be paying through the nose for the data on PAYG

3. ojk7 macrumors newbie

There is a O2 pay and go bolt on which gives you 200mb of data per month for £7.50 that is a pretty good deal and should be more than enough for most iphone users. However the problem with using a non contract O2 with the current iPhone is that it recognises the SIM card as an O2 SIM and as such there are no options to change the network data settings and this prevents you using safari etc. I think there is a hack you can use to fix this problem.

4. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Unlimited web access for £7.50.

Our new O2 Web Bolt On gives you unlimited browsing for just £7.50 a month.
    To opt into this Bolt On simply send a free text message with the keyword WEB to 21300 or call free on 2425 from your mobile.

Paying for your Bolt On is simple as it comes out of your calltime balance each month. We do all the work, all you have to do is keep your mobile topped up with enough calltime credit to pay for your calltime and your Bolt On payment each month.

Each month, we will send you a text message to let you know 48 hours before we are due to take the next months payment giving you a chance to top up your calltime balance to pay for your Bolt On or to opt out or change your choice.

You can opt out up to 48 hours before the next payment is due simply by sending a free text message with the keyword WEB OFF or by calling 2425 free from your mobile.

The O2 Web Bolt On can only be used for internet browsing on your phone. A fair use policy applies and if your usage substantially exceeds that of other users, which is normally expected to be below 200MB/month, you will be charged standard rates for additional browsing. We will send you a warning text message advising you to limit your usage before this occurs and a text message to confirm when you are being charged

5. ACDeag macrumors regular

I am not sure if it has changed but until recently O2 PAYG SIMS were not 3G SIMS unless you specifically asked for one or had bought a 3G PAYG phone.

6. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

When I worked at o2 (last March - September) all PAYG sims that we gave out were 3G.

7. J273 macrumors regular

Is anyone actually using this 7.50 bolt on?

I tried it a while ago on a payg im and its just WAP and o2 didnt allow o2 WEB on a payg sim.......Only allowing wap pages to be viewed.

8. sananda macrumors 68020

i used it up until a month ago with my iphone. it's fine (the real internet) except that i didn't seem to have the same speeds as those iphones on the proper tariff (i concluded that i wasn't getting EDGE only GPRS) and you can't access email on pay and go.

9. J273 macrumors regular

Ahhh ok thanks....I may have to switch then from my current three sim.

10. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

if you have a cerdit/debit card. work out how much you spend on PAYG. if it is more than £15 go for the simplicity deal and then get the web bolt on. You get wap, gprs, edge and 3G and 3.5G.

Im on the £30/month simplicity deal. With 1200min, unlimited texts and the web bolt on.

Until a few days ago i had the iPhone and all worked fine apart from visual voicemail which worked intermittently. I sold my iPhone and now am using at N95, i get 3.5G pretty much where ever i am (i live in zone 1 and go to uni in zone 1).

If i remember correctly its £45 for the same deal on the iPhone contracts and you only get 500 texts and you're stuck for 18months. As for cloud usage, you can use it but only on certain websites, such as BBC.