3G iPhone Not Sold Online?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M0bile, Jun 9, 2008.

1. M0bile macrumors regular

Did anyone notice that you will not be able to buy the 3G iPhone online? You can only get it from an AT&T or Apple Retail Store. Hopefully you can buy them from Apple's online store when they actually come out because the AT&T store in my town doesn't carry iPhones (yet) and the nearest Apple store is about 7 hours away. :confused:

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I believe this is because the phone is subsidized -- so you'd have to sign the AT&T contract before you leave the store. Unless there's some way to purchase online for a premium, activate at home, and get a credit... I think you'll have to go to a store.

3. imisssefler macrumors newbie

i imagine it'll be sold online by july 11. just like the original.

4. milaround macrumors member

milaround

My post got swallowed up in the massive iPhone thread that Blue Velvet (/wave) is merging everything into. So I'll post it again here:

I just got off the phone with the Apple product information desk. From the mouth of the representative:

"Actually, I know for a fact there will be no pre-ordering for the iPhone."

So, looks like it's first come first serve on the 11th.

I also asked about if it would be sold online or not at all, and he said that he could not give me an official answer as he too was not given information about that yet, however he assumed that even if it is not available for the first few weeks online, that it assuredly would be made available online eventually.

I also asked about previous contracts, and if they would be transferrable. The representative said that for an official answer, I would have to contact ATT directly, however he assumes that they would be transferrable (without requiring another contract extension) based on how contracts have been transferrable with the iPhone in the past.​

I personally would find it ridiculous on Apple's part if they seriously consider selling through retail stores only a wise approach to sales.

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Calm down folks. There is a reason why Apple is giving themselves a month to work out the details. Just be patient and all of your questions will be answered.

6. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

where did you hear the iphone is subsidized? steve never mentioned rebates or anything in the keynote.

I think he made it pretty clear that there's a price drop

7. Unconsoled macrumors regular

Where does it say it is subsidized. I must have missed that.

8. BrianFD3S macrumors member

Hopefully it's purchasable online in countries other than the USA also.

9. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I missed that as well. I do remember him saying the price point is $199 for the 8GB and $299 for the 16GB. Gotta love those :apple: price points even though we have to pay an extra $10 a month for data.

10. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I really hope it gets sold online as well. Although I have an AT&T store close by, I have a family and a business and just cant spend all night outside waiting in line for a phone, and I'm definitely not going to pay double for one on ebay! :eek:

11. retroneo macrumors 6502a

Australian Preorder

We've got pre-ordering in Australia with Optus. Not Vodafone.

$100 deposit refunded if you don't pick it up within 5 days of launch.
    Preorder gets you in 2 hours before everyone else on July 11.

If you're already with Optus:
    http://www.yesiphone.com.au/

If you're not with Optus:
    http://www.optusiphone.com.au/

These sites were up in seconds of the announcement!

Here you can't get it online either or in Apple Resellers - only via Optus and Vodafone.

12. cjmal macrumors 6502

iPhone 3G will be available in the US on July 11 for a suggested retail price of $199 (US) for the 8GB model and $299 (US) for the 16GB model in both Apple and AT&T's retail stores and requires a new two year contract with AT&T for qualifying customers. iPhone 2.0 software will be available on July 11 as a free software update via iTunes(R) 7.7 or later for all iPhone customers. For further information about iPhone 3G pricing and availability in the US and internationally, visit http://www.apple.com/iphone.

* Based on 3G and EDGE testing. Actual speeds vary by site conditions.

** Based on iPhone 3G (8GB) and first generation iPhone (8GB) purchases. Requires new two year AT&T rate plan, sold separately.

- From the press release.