3G iPhone on other UK networks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pilki, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Pilki macrumors newbie

New forum member here! :D

Been keeping tabs on the rumours surrounding the 3G iPhone and I'm really looking forward to its release!

However I have some thoughts regarding its position as being advertised as a 3G phone... and since the lease with o2 on the iPhone is due to end soon...

Is it possible that the 3G iPhone would be available under other networks legitimately? Thing is I'm currently on 3 right now....and being on the first 3G network in the UK i would have thought it a no brainer to at least have the 3G iPhone on 3.... along with the other major networks in the UK..

My hopes are high for an iPhone upgrade when my current contract ends in Feb :D:D

thoughts?

2. ripkord macrumors 6502

I certainly hope it will be on other networks as they all have 3g capability, active or not - really hope its not with 3 or I aint buying one. 3 are a disgrace.

3. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

why are 3 a disgrace in your opinion? im perfectly happy with them not had any issues with them since day one.

4. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

I agree. I would definitely not sign a contract with 3.. i would only go prepaid with them. I hate their pathetic rules on blocking other 3G handsets not purchased by them on their network. pathetic.

5. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

Are 3 that bad? I'm just about to sign for a mobile broadband package with them.

To the OP, according 3 they have no intention of carrying the 3G iPhone...

6. rcownley macrumors member

They used to be til they signed up with O2 to get better signal. they're a lot better now.

7. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

3 do not block other handsets. the sim works fine in ANY 3g phone. I work for the company and know this, on a customer level i have used the simcard in a samsung g800 which was never releasedby 3 and also the htc tytn and they work fine, to access planet however the settings need to be amended but thats normal anyway. the pay and go sim cards use to work on any handsets until recenelty they are all now 3g simcards too.

And by the way 3 dont use o2 anymore its changed to Orange since last year.

I have a contract with them and mobile broadband and never had any issues with them.

8. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

Three are widely know for objecting to some customers who use their sim in a non "Three" handset.
    I've had two contracts with them and was charged wrongly on both contracts...never did receive a full refund having lost the will to live trying to get sense from their foreign call centres.
    They are a total nightmare when things go wrong.

9. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

ah well i suppose good experiances and bad experiances happen

10. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

sorry to change the subject but when a phone with a 3 SIM roams onto orange what does it show as network name? is it actually roaming? sorry i dont know coz i have only ever used orange since my first mobile (before nokia 3310)