3G iPhone PAYG??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rickms08, Jun 9, 2008.

1. rickms08 macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is a repeat, but rumors is flooded today and I dont see anything about this...

Is the new iPhone going to be available as PAYG? And if, I'm already a PAYG iPhone G1 owner is there a cost to transfer over when activating other than transfering my SIM card?

2. sananda macrumors 68020

what country are you in? there will be pay and go in the uk.

3. rickms08 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. rolex54 macrumors 6502

thats a good question, its different now because of the subsy
    Why wouldn't you just get the contract, it is so much more expensive for pay as you go

5. rickms08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its actually not that more expensive I only pay, i think, 85 which is what my contract was with vzw...I dont talk much on my phone and with rollover, and not having to be stuck in a contract...i'm only losing a little bit.

6. vlinkz macrumors regular

Yeah, thank Science for that one.

On this subject, I am out of the loop in mobile phone tech, will this PAYG option be locked to certain sim cards still?

7. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

pay as you go - ditch the sim

unlock and use existing plan

that's what im doing ( in UK)

i think a lot of the 3G iPhone sold on ebay in the next few months will be from the UK as it is the only country offering pay as you go.

8. rickms08 thread starter macrumors newbie

well im thinking...in all reality the phone and service is not much different tech wise, other than the obvious 3G...i think att might go PAYG for the 3G as they did with the current iPhone, but if im correct they didnt do PAYG until months after the initial release date...if im correct

9. alex2016g macrumors member

Dought it, because you can still buy them in apple stores.

10. paulej69 macrumors member

Not true - both Vodafone and Optus here in Australia have announced the iPhones will be available to purchase outright so that people can keep their existing sim, or buy prepaid (PAYG) sims.

11. vlinkz macrumors regular

Oh man I hope O2 does this in the UK, I get the feeling we're about to be screwed. (With any provider's sim of course)

12. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

good lord I hope there is no Prepay.

Can you imagine what security they would impose to prevent people from stealing them.

13. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

how do people know that o2 will offer pay as you go for the 3g iphone? where did you read this? i want to know...

14. Tragedies macrumors 6502

For Australians PAYG, will Optus and Vodafone RAISE the price above the 200 mark if we go prepaid? That would suck.

15. vlinkz macrumors regular

https://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paygo

16. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

my god is at&t screwing us americans over im scared that i will get shot soon because of the iphone. Theres a penalty for not activating in 30 days whats up with that???:confused: my friend wants to actually join at&t but now its like your forced to do something that you really dont want to hell me and my friend are glad that we have the first gen iphone. He has tmobile i have att but i still rather have the itunes approach
    my 2 cents

17. rolex54 macrumors 6502

they are trying to stop unlocking, and I don't blame them, Not to mention the new 3G iphone is pretty worthless on tmobile since they don't have a 3G network

18. nateco macrumors regular

I want pay as you go just to avoid a Rogers contract...I'd pay full price too.

19. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

man american cellular networks suck :( eh ya to stop unlockers but what about the first gen guys will they get a unlock code one day :confused: when it comes to this phone its the biggest hassle to unlock lol but when it comes to a blackjack to blackberry nobody cares lol

20. paulej69 macrumors member

I'm damn sure that the price to buy outright will be a lot more than USD200 (AUD230?) - e.g. my wife bought an N95 outright for around AUD1000 a year or so ago. I'm hoping the iPhone outright price will be nowhere near that.

Still, if Vodafone or Optus offer better plans than the Telstra ones we are on, I've got no problem switching carriers for a better price - in fact we have already pre-ordered through Optus and paid $100 deposits..."no obligation to buy"...

21. alex2016g macrumors member

Tats what i'w heard, but how are they gonna find out who you are, if you buy it in the store and then unlock it home?

22. alex2016g macrumors member

Just read the O2 site, on the iPhone page found following:

WTF:confused:

23. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

thats absolutely brilliant.. i mean now when i get the 3G iphone on PAYG i can still get my warranty even though when i use it abroad. what i have to do is simply virginize and reactivate the payg sim --- absolutely fantastic... so it will be a legit iphone when its in the uk, when im abroad it wont;

24. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

What's the problem? It's free :)

25. alex2016g macrumors member

no its the way they say that it won't cost you a PENNY on a 45 and 75 £ contracts (won't cost you a penny but will cos you £45?)

Just thought it funny.:)